Handing out the sweet stuff this Halloween?

Options
I'm not sure if there's a post on this already, so forgive me if there isn't. I've been debating on whether or not to embrace the 'Halloween Spirit' (for me it's always been to watch scary movies in the dark and freak out as many people as possible, but for society its answering non-stop doorbells and filling kids buckets with a trip to the dentist). Last year I lived in an apartment complex so I really didn't have to worry about handing out candy. Now, I live in a townhouse on a little culdesac with a large military population (my husbands currently deployed so its just me here for now) and I don't want to be rude, but at the same time I don't know if I feel comfortable having a giant bowl of candy and passing it out to children. I'm trying to think of alternatives that I could pass out, like crappy candy I never liked so I could avoid the temptation, although this doesn't help the kids, or something non-food related, but I'm not crafty at all so I don't know how this would work, OR just not answering the door at all. Pretty sure I'm over thinking this. Oh well! What do you think?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    So basically what you're asking is...

"Do I want the kids that are going to TP my house to use Charmin or some other off brand? And how do I remove eggs from my car?"

Kids want candy. Period. You'll be forever known as that house with the lady that gave out apples. It's one holiday. It's up to their parents to police their candy consumption, not you. And if it's really that big of a deal to you, don't give out candy. Fun sized candy calories though are not that bad. And they fit conveniently in your purse.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    So disappointed in this thread....by sweet stuff I was hoping you were meaning other than candy.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Orental trader has nice Halloween stuff for the rotten kids.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    We'll have a bucket of the good stuck. Chocolate. Snicker, Hershey, Reese's ....
    And if Paranorman is on Blue ray by the 31st we'll be showing that in our driveway while the kids are trick or treating.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you put razor blades in the candy the kids will be dead long before the sugar does them any harm. Problem solved.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Nope, handing out protein bars and water bottles, keeping all the candy to myself
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    So basically what you're asking is...

"Do I want the kids that are going to TP my house to use Charmin or some other off brand? And how do I remove eggs from my car?"

Kids want candy. Period. You'll be forever known as that house with the lady that gave out apples. It's one holiday. It's up to their parents to police their candy consumption, not you. And if it's really that big of a deal to you, don't give out candy. Fun sized candy calories though are not that bad. And they fit conveniently in your purse.

I :heart: you... for real. lol
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't be that person. Don't be the *kitten* who hands out carrot sticks and string cheese. Hand out candy. It's for kids. It's the one day a year they get to do it.

Heck if you really wanna make a good impression buy a ton of full size candy bars and hand those out.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Will have lots of candy available to give out... give the people what they want..
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Pick a candy you hate that others like. Almond joy and milky way bars would be mine. If you hand out peppermints, gum, and pretzels you will just enrage them. You won't like them when they're angry.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Don't be that person. Don't be the *kitten* who hands out carrot sticks and string cheese. Hand out candy. It's for kids. It's the one day a year they get to do it.

Heck if you really wanna make a good impression buy a ton of full size candy bars and hand those out.

I would totally shovel the sidewalk (once, let's not go crazy) for the person that gave out full sized candy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hand out money... I used to LOVE getting quarters and dollars in my bag :P
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I never understood how candy at halloween = trip to dentist.

Kids brush their teeth. It happens. Candy isn't any more/less difficult to brush off than milk and cereal or granola bars or anything else they eat.

At any rate, I'm going to give out some candy, and eat some candy myself, with spooky decorations outside and creepy music playing inside.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Money's a winner too. I used to love getting money from the folks who didn't buy in sweets. However, word will spread fast ;)
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The kids are in for a treat when they knock on my door they are all getting one grape each.
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    amuse yourself with this: If their parents let them eat all their candy unsupervised, their parents have to live with the sugar high, the crash, and the upset tummies, and it is only once a year: One big long stretch from Halloween to Easter...
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    HAND OUT CANDY!! i had a lady one year when i was little give me a freakin apple and a penny...yes 1 penny....really!? just let the kids go nuts
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    yeah i think change is a great idea! $2 bills are always fun- you can get those at the bank, but could get expensive quick if you're expecting a lot of kids. or what about small bags of kettle corn? it's still fun and kids like it, but not as bad as candy.

or stickers, kids love stickers.
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I had little tubs of Play Doh to hand out to kids that had allergies and what not but I was surprised by how many kids who preferred the Play Doh to the candy. There are definitely alternatives to passing out candy that don't involve ignoring the doorbell.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Candy or money! Licorice is a good one to hand out! M&Ms with pretzels are not too bad either.

I agree with everyone else- don't be the one that hands out "boring" stuff! Let the parents exercise the duties of eating candy!

Quarters are always fun- or go to the bank and get some fifty cent pieces (do they still make those?) :happy: