Green Tea vs. Energy Drinks?

Options
DrBorkBork
DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
Okay, so I've been reading a little about green tea and how they affect weight loss. It seems to me that the thing speeding up one's metabolism is the caffeine in the tea. So what's the difference, diet-wise, between drinking green tea & a 0 cal, high-caffeine drink?
Or am I completely off base?

Replies

• laurajg
    Options
    Actually there's not that much caffeine in Green Tea---about 20 mg. There is about 80 mg in coffee. It is something else beside the caffeine that speeds up your metabolism.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    BIG difference in my opinion
    Here is a link outlining some of the benefits of green tea
    I drink 4/5 cups a day...very little caffeine and IMP tastes great w/ out sweetner

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Would green tea, in addition to everything I'm doing now (eating right, daily gallon of water, very low sodium, working out 6 days a week), accelerate my weight loss? I'm not looking to do a diet, just something to help what I'm already doing along.

There is a local seller that pedals all different flavors of the stuff, but it is expensive. Is it worth it?
  • janeneL
    Options
    I get the Lipton green tea, then I also get some mint tea bags and when I make them in my iced tea pot, I put in 3 green tea and one peppermint tea bags and it gives it a nice flavor. I would just start with a basic plain green tea and go from there. I bought a couple different flavored ones and they tasted disgusting to me, I could not even drink them.
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    Try to find some good whole leaf green tea - not the stuff they sell in tea bags. If you don't live in an area where you have tea shops or places that specialize in tea, try the internet - Good luck and green tea is really great and good for you.
  • beano1980
    beano1980 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Would green tea, in addition to everything I'm doing now (eating right, daily gallon of water, very low sodium, working out 6 days a week), accelerate my weight loss? I'm not looking to do a diet, just something to help what I'm already doing along.

There is a local seller that pedals all different flavors of the stuff, but it is expensive. Is it worth it?

I can't see any green tea being bad for you but as you do or don't know water is the best thing for a couple of reasons.... Stop's you feeling hungry and is calorie free!!
    The other thing to look out for is sugar!
    If you are having too much sugar your body will turn it into fat and stores it!! (Energy Drinks have tonnes of sugar in read the label.)
    Try spacing meals out so you're eating every 2-3 hours, Not eating more food, But little but often. (stops hunger and sends your metabolism in to overdrive.)

But I did notice that your working out 6 days a week! (why?) You need to rest your muscles, Working out that much can have the reverse affect on your muscles!!
    And lastly sleep! Get at least 8 hours sleep!

Hope This Helps
    Stewart
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Actually there's not that much caffeine in Green Tea---about 20 mg. There is about 80 mg in coffee. It is something else beside the caffeine that speeds up your metabolism.

Actually in 8 oz. of coffee there is approx 185mg of caffeine.

I drink green tea because I like the taste and I can tell you that I haven't seen it make one bit of difference with respect to my weight. So the whole weightloss thing to me at least is BS.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options

But I did notice that your working out 6 days a week! (why?)
    Hope This Helps
    Stewart

Uh... more bang for my buck? I like having extra calories. It's not a hard workout. I use my Wii. The rest of the day I am pretty sedentary. Just watch my kid & cook dinner at night :)
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

But I did notice that your working out 6 days a week! (why?)
    Hope This Helps
    Stewart

Uh... more bang for my buck? I like having extra calories. It's not a hard workout. I use my Wii. The rest of the day I am pretty sedentary. Just watch my kid & cook dinner at night :)

Don't worry.....working out 6 days a week is fine. You have a day of rest.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I buy my tea at teaopia. They are a loose leaf tea companie. All the tea that I have tried so far I have loved. Quality does make a difference. I pay around 6-8 $ for every 50 grams but you only use 1 1/2 tsp. per cup.

I do believe it speeds up your metabolism a bit but for me it keep me from making bad decisions. I drink tea to stop myself from eating fast food or deserts. The aroma in some of the tea I have bought has satisfied some of my cravings. And on the plus side tea helps me sleep better.

I say give it a try. Tea is good for your health.

Ps. forgot to add that since increasing my tea consumption I have been feeling more relaxed.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    well right off the bat, energy drinks have absolutely NO health benefits.

Green tea contains polyphenols which help activate the enzymes that disolve excess triglycerides and help keep the liver healthy. Green tea contains antioxidants such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which has been found to stimulate the metabolism and excellerate weight loss.
    ECGC along with the caffeine stimulates teh central nercous system and causes fat to be released into the blood stream to be used as fuel (thermogenesis), which will increase energy , shed excess water and aid in burning body fat.
    Green tea is thought to aid in longer exercise, an average increase of 24% percent, more endurance means more exercise, means more calories burned and more weight lost.

My rule of thumb is that everything I put in my mouth has to have some dietary value. Doing this keeps fast food, processed foods, useless energy drinks and all sorts of other crap that leads to or aids in an unhealthy body out of the question. Personally, I can't stand the taste of green tea, tried several kinds and I figure the sugar I would add to make it drinkable would be counter productive so I stick to water, black teas and good old fashioned coffee.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    My favorite tea is Uncle Lee's Green Tea of China. It tastes delish!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    While I think green tea is a great addition to any heathy diet/menu, I personally don't think it will help with loosing weight (it def won't hut...might make u feel full)
    I buy TJ brand or plain old Lipton decaf at the supermarket..wouldn't waste my $$ on any fancy/pricey green tea

good luck
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I personally prefer matcha green tea. I like the taste better and I find it gives me this energy boost that I don't get from regular green tea. It's all trial and error. Start with the simple and see how you like it, then go from there.