Sushi - Good For You?

Options
2»

Replies

• determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Be careful with how much soy sauce you have, and stick to the nigiri (piece of sashimi on top of rice) instead of rolls.
    But yeah, nothing wrong with sushi :)
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't CARE! It is noms! Actually, I do eat sushi quite often. I try to get vegetable based, non-fried or straight sashimi/tataki style items most often. As a matter of fact I am basking in Post-Sushi glow right now (had it for lunch!)

I limit myself to one roll with rice. The one I had today was around 300 calories. Everything else I get is either rolled in cucumber or seaweed with no rice. My favorite does have avocado, but for all the amount that is actually IN the roll, it is still worth it!

Today, I splurged and got Shumai too. But I am likely to have a small dinner so figured I could go big for lunch! I could have easily gotten out of there satisfied with half the calories if I had wanted to.

The big problem with sushi, depending on how you like it, is the soy sauce! I use the low sodium stuff and STILL get bloaty from the water retention from that! SO be prepared for that to be a possible immediate side effect. But that will go away in due time as well.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think it depands. Traditional japenese sushi is very healthy because it is a completre meal : good balance of protein, fats, carbs and it contains all sorts of veg. It is high on good fats as well as minerals and vitamines. It also fills you up pretty quickly and keeps one satisfied for long. I love sushi as a lunch food ... also, there are several very prominent athletes who are great fans of sushi.

Ofcourse it is food so like with everything too much is simply not good.

What you should remember is that many restaurants change the reciepies to fit the food culture in perticular part of world and add things like mayo or avocado to their sushi ... nothing wrong with avocado itself but it is not how the traditional balanced sushi was made. I would stay away from non-traditional variants unless you eat it on a cheat day:)
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think the rice is probably the "worst" part. My problem is that I get a whole plate of it and go back for seconds...
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    i dunno but it's efing NOMZY .. om nom nom

Couldn't have said it better myself
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Now I want sushi! But it's 10pm here and I'm already in bed :sad:
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options

The sushi place around the corner from me does a happy hour at 10pm to get rid of everything...omnomnom.

As far as it being healthy I would say yes! As long as you don't get a tonne of mayo or tempura stuff then there are certainly alot or worse things to eat!
  • RiverMelSong
    Options
    *deleted*
  • RiverMelSong
    Options
    I really want to believe it's healthy because I love it soooo much!!

The sushi place around the corner from me does a happy hour at 10pm to get rid of everything...omnomnom.

As far as it being healthy I would say yes! As long as you don't get a tonne of mayo or tempura stuff then there are certainly alot or worse things to eat!

Ahh I wish they did that over here!