Say no to Friend Collectors

Options
Hi! So I have been using MFP for almost two years now. Anyhow, I took a 10 month break where I stopped logging my intake and outtake and I ended up gaining around ten pounds. I'm back on MFP to get into the swing of things and lose the weight once and for all while developing clean eating habits.

Anyways, I recently deleted over 100 friends because I have noticed that I have accumulated a lot of friend collectors in the past. Instead I would rather gain a support system around MFP where I actually interact with the people I add as friends. If any of this sounds good to you feel free to add me! I'm friendly. :-)
Some things about me:

Height: 5'4.5
Highest Weight: 150 lbs
Lowest Weight: 113 lbs
Current Weight: 125 lbs
Goal Weight: ~110 lbs

I enjoy: kickboxing, running, pylometrics and I am thinking of starting insanity.
I am a member of fitocracy and tumblr as well.

Replies

• emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just friend whoever wants to be friends, without having requirements. Sometimes people just want to look around for motivation, and either they're too busy to interact a lot or they are shy. I see these same kinds of posts from people a lot, and I always wonder what the big deal is.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    When you have around 400 friends and nobody comments or speaks with you, it's a weeee bit annoying. But hey, that's just my opinion.
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me....i am on every day :)
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am on every day also. i also gained about 10-15 lb back and trying to work down to my goal weight again.
  • Grandmasboy2852
    Options
    I am on everyday and try to comment / motivate my friends without over-doing it haha add me if ya want
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm on pretty consistently, an I'm also on Fitocracy. Feel free to add me. :-)
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    new bee here, I've been on everyday since starting, love it! I'm concerned with making new friends on here, because I promised the one's I've gained to stay on the up n up with them. I agree about the friend collector thing. I'm willing to have a few more friends I suppose, but definitely not going outta my way to make any, very happy with the ones I have! Accountability is huge to me, and a long friends list is not.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I currently have around 13 friends (two of which are family). We have entirely different goals, but if I see something from you on my feed and I can, help I will. I won't comment on every single thing that pops up, but if something does pop up and nobody says anything I'll more than likely say something even if I don't have good advice on the topic. I'm not begging for more friends, but you can add me if you want. Don't if you don't.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I used to accept just about everybody because I am a sensitive person myself and would feel bad if I wasn't added. But now I only accept friends who actually send me a little hello first! Just seems like common sense! I trimmed down my list to only the people whom I've interacted with and who have supported me and I feel good about it! I like seeing a username and relating a conversation to it or knowing who they are after reading their profile and seeing their goals! Like having real friends not just kind of a face to see once in a while.

Definitely quality over quantity! And I don't mean some people aren't quality!!! Just in regards to people who do interact vs don't. Support is a big part of MFP and what makes it so amazing :flowerforyou:
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    When you have around 400 friends and nobody comments or speaks with you, it's a weeee bit annoying. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I agree with you. I've deleted a few that never log in... and a couple that never said anything. Feel free to add me. I'm not great at commenting every day... but, I try to. I do log in everyday, though; even if I don't comment on posts everday.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    I used to accept just about everybody because I am a sensitive person myself and would feel bad if I wasn't added. But now I only accept friends who actually send me a little hello first! Just seems like common sense! I trimmed down my list to only the people whom I've interacted with and who have supported me and I feel good about it! I like seeing a username and relating a conversation to it or knowing who they are after reading their profile and seeing their goals! Like having real friends not just kind of a face to see once in a while.

Definitely quality over quantity! And I don't mean some people aren't quality!!! Just in regards to people who do interact vs don't. Support is a big part of MFP and what makes it so amazing :flowerforyou:
    ^This
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    You can add me. But I rarely talk fitness. I really do not know what I do. But I know I never take anything seriously. So, maybe not a good fit. I suppose we could do a test drive.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    I'd rather just friend whoever wants to be friends, without having requirements. Sometimes people just want to look around for motivation, and either they're too busy to interact a lot or they are shy. I see these same kinds of posts from people a lot, and I always wonder what the big deal is.

I agree...always open to new friends of any kind..jus not negative ones, that's all :)
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If you do not give people a chance, you never know what you might be missing. Better to add then delete, than never have adding in the first place.
  • itsDapps
    itsDapps Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    to be fair ive been more of a voyeur of the forums then a poster but ive been so busy lately moving and getting a new job but im ready to commit to guys and gals on here as we hit our goals
  • grgbtsk
    Options
    I typically avoid random friend requests.

I mean, this isn't facebook or twitter, I'd rather have ten friends that encourage/give advice/want advice instead of a couple hundred that aren't contributing anything.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I only have about 70 friends.. Most of them say crap as stupid as I do.

They're the best.
  • iiriinka
    Options
    I just started MFP last week and am looking for good friends... Feel free to add me... :wink:
  • shizz230
    Options
    Im on everyday also and Im looking for supporting tips and methods from serious people....so feel free to add me
  • AliciaAnne1984
    Options
    I agree with you. I'm interested in people who are supportive and want support themselves. Quality over quantity all the way! I log in daily and really enjoy seeing what my MFP's are accomplishing. Friend request on the way :)