Beginning to Panic.

Hi Everyone,
I am getting married in 5 months time, had a stone to lose before our wedding. Have managed to lose 5 lbs far, 9 to go.
However I've just been told that in 2 weeks time I have to have an operation on my foot and will be laid up for 8 weeks and then won't be able to exercise for another 4 / 6 months. Even walking the dogs will be limited to short walks.
I will certainly have to watch what I eat but being at home for 8 weeks without work or the gym I can already feel the weight ready to pile on.
NEED to fit into my wedding dress so note to self..... do not eat. :laugh:

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    I'm going to go warm up my lunch
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Look up chair exercises. There are plenty of things you can do while sitting to help burn calories.
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Diet is always the most important thing. Just make sure you are under goal and once you are cleared to exercise go for it. Just keep a positive frame of mind.

Abs are made in the kitchen :)
  • There are a lot of exercises that you can do with your arms that can get your heartrate up - with or without weights. Punching, resistance bands - and you should see if/when you could swim?
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    No need to worry! I had shoulder surgery and for 8 weeks wasn't allowed to do any physical activity. I just set my MFP setting to the one above sedentary and kept eating at a caloric deficit. I ended up losing almost 16 pounds in that 8 week period.
    I missed my Karate workouts, but it was worth letting my shoulder heal before pushing it too hard!
    Good luck!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    What about swimming after the first couple weeks? Good luck with it all. :)
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    That sucks. Maybe you'll heal faster where you can do a little bit before walking down the aisle.

Definitely watch what you eat and stay within calories. If you can, low or no carb helps for faster weight loss if you aren't already eating like that. I personally don't like it, but now and then I try to go a few days without.

You could still exercise. Maybe get some weights to working out your upper body while you sit around the house. Maybe even tossing a tennis ball against the wall or something.

I wish you luck. Feel free to add me or message me if you want anymore help or support.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Sedinary (sic) lifestyle requires 1200 calories per day, or less. Be sure to get your protein or you will not have any enerygy. Find things to do that keep your hands busy. You can still do stretching type excercises (every other day) that can be done in a chair. I'm thinking 2 lb weights, exercise band and so on. You could even dance in a chair, while sitting. You can keep it moving. Go for it! and good luck with surgery and the marriage.:happy:
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies, will have my foot in plaster so no swimming which is just as well as I can't swim. :laugh:

Have weights and a resistance band and have made a promise to myself that I will do 2 lots of 30 minutes exercise everyday but am still worried. x
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Time to pick up some weights as there are a ton of weight training exercises you can do sitting down.
  • I wonder if you are put in a hard boot or something that protects your foot if you could still do the recumbant bike or something that doesn't have impact? I doubt you'll be able to swim right after surgery....because I was considering the same and doc said it would be weeks until I could get in the pool post -surgery (too much bacterial in pool near open/healing/taped wound). Good luck to you.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Diet is always the most important thing. Just make sure you are under goal and once you are cleared to exercise go for it. Just keep a positive frame of mind.

Abs are made in the kitchen :)

^^ this! just do a moderate deficit from TDEE. try to do whatever upper body exercises you can get in.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    If you still want some cardio - how about one of those 'hand cycle' machines?
    Also definitely time to get the weights out as above.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    You'll be fine if you continue to watch what you eat. When I was laid up at home after abdominal surgery I was fine didn't gain any weight. My problem was when I returned to work, I started eating more but forgetting that I still couldn't exercise. I didn't have MFP back then.
  • If you lower your caloric intake by the same amount you would've normally burned working out, you should be able to maintain the same weight loss rate. Just be careful not to lower it too much, otherwise you'll go into starvation mode and it will slow down your metabolism.

Focus on exercise for the next two weeks as well as planning meals ahead for the time you'll be in recovery. Keep plenty of healthy options around so you don't have to think about what you're gonna eat when you are laying in bed on pain killers.

As others mentioned, there are plenty of exercises you can do while laying in bed or not putting pressure on your foot... definitely keep some resistance bands and light dumbbells handy.

Best of luck for a quick recovery and congrats on the marriage!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    I undertand the panic; I had to be out for a month and still freaked out, but you can at least still exercise your upper body...circuit train! :) Also, diet is going to be the biggest factor in weight loss, so as long as you're careful with it and eat clean, you have nothing to worry about. Best of luck with your surgery and goals :-)
  • Check out the cardio boxing segments that Jillian Michaels does in her 30 day shred, level 3. You punch it out with light weights while squatting. I'm sure that you can get in a good calorie burn that way.

How about a stationary bike?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Boxing out your arms is a great way to get the heart rate up to burn cals if you have a lower body injury.

Be sure there are NO TREATS in the house b/c you won't be able to avoid temptation if you are at home all the time.
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Check out the cardio boxing segments that Jillian Michaels does in her 30 day shred, level 3. You punch it out with light weights while squatting. I'm sure that you can get in a good calorie burn that way.

How about a stationary bike?

Have got a stationary bike that I use most days but won't know if I will be able to fit my foot cast into the pedal until I've had the op, fingers crossed I will. x
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    why don't you just have it taken out?