anyone else eat out 5+ times a week like me?

Options
Probably more like 8 times a week but I've learned to lose and manage weight by eating right - working out helps a lot.

What are your favorite meals out that fit within your MFP goals?

Replies

• denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I travel for a living, sometimes 25 days a month. So yeah, I eat out a lot.

I find generally restaurants are pretty open to special requests, like no sauces/salts/etc/substitutions. I have started to always have protein powders in a baggie in my briefcase in case I can't find something healthy and I'm dying.

Generally some grilled plain animal protein (steak/chicken/fish) with brocolli is always going to be good.

What do you eat?
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Constantly for lunch. Taco's from pretty much anywhere, as long as you stick to meat and salsa, and crunchy trumps soft every time. Grilled chicken from Wendy's with a side salad. Not sure if you have Au Bon Pain around you, but I get their soup a lot, with a breadstick or a side salad. 6" sub from Subway. Most of these options come in around 300 calories.

That being said, I really need to start brown bagging it again. The sodium content is killing me!
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Chipotle, Subway, Noodles and Co, Whole Foods, Wendy's, you name it...I aim for high protein, always order the small, skip the chips or fries most of the time. I probably lost 20 lbs or so just from cutting mayo and cheese out of my sandwiches and to keep things tasty - hot sauce on everything

The big thing is to check menus before I go so I know what I'm getting into
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My husband and I work together so we eat lunch out every weekday. We have 4 local restaurants that we go to and they are wonderful at letting me special order things! Our favorite mexican will grill my chicken for fajitas without using oil and place all the toppings on the side for me to control.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I eat at my work cafeteria up to 2 times a day during the work week. Luckily they have lots of healthy options including fresh fruit in the mornings and a salad bar at lunch.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Generally some grilled plain animal protein (steak/chicken/fish) with brocolli is always going to be good.

That's me. Plain grilled chicken breast, ribeye, or fish and steamed broccoli is available almost anywhere.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot. I just keep track of calories and nutrition. I tend to favor low calorie, high protein meals. The only real issue I find with eating out is sodium content. Otherwise, it is not as diet destroying as it has come to be believed.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat out with my husband on the weekends sometimes but we usually try to eat at home. It's nice to eat out but its not always easy to find out how many calories are in a meal. Not to mention, its usually not easy on the wallet!
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat out quite a bit. Some faves:

Subway 6 inch club, all veggies no sauces
    Rubios's Mexican Grill--2 street tacos only 90 cals each!! Small side of rice 150 cals
    Papa Johns Pizza--1 slice large works original pizza about 350 cals
    Taco Bell--2 chicken fresco tacos 150 cals each
    Outback Steakhouse--6 oz Filet mignon, veggies no butter and salad with fat free tangy tomato dressing
    Panda Express--panda bowl with beef broccoli, half white rice half veggies

There's lots of options! I try to check out nutrition info before I go. I love Mexican food so cant give it up, I just try to eat smaller amounts of it.
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    i almost never eat out (today was an exception, lol!) because the food never seems to agree with my stomach and system.
    i always end up running for the bathroom feeling bloated and gross.
    i ate my lunch out today, at about 1:30.
    it's 4:45 now and my stomach still won't stop making strange noises.
    the food was delicious,
    but the after effect for me is just not worth it.
  • jessepants
    Options
    i almost never eat out (today was an exception, lol!) because the food never seems to agree with my stomach and system.
    i always end up running for the bathroom feeling bloated and gross.
    i ate my lunch out today, at about 1:30.
    it's 4:45 now and my stomach still won't stop making strange noises.
    the food was delicious,
    but the after effect for me is just not worth it.

TMI Thursday now? ;)
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot. I'm single so don't really cook for myself. I work in an office so lunch is my little escape for the day. My favorites are Subway, Great Outdoors, Cowboy Chicken, Chipotle, Salad Stop and Mama Pita's. I try to stay away from the big chain restaurants (except Subway and Chipotle) and find more local chains or small family run places.

I also balance that out with some portion/calorie controlled meals from a place around here called My Fit Foods. They are pre-made "clean" meals that have a 40/30/30 ratio. Most of their small entree's are less than 300 calories and they are very filling. If any of you live in TX, OK, or CA check into them. They are expanding all over those areas and the food is really, really good.
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat out about 4 times a week and just seem to make it fit. I really love Chipotle and go for the bowl instead of the burrito and McCalisters is one of my faves too. You are absolutely right about the exercise helping. I haven't had any huge setback yet.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    yaaa i gotta stop though. way too much sodium.

chipotle brown rice chicken bowl, veggies no beans, no cheese

subway sandwiches

panera you pick two, sandwich and salad with apple

sushi!!!!!!!! (use sriracha instead of "spicy sauce" which is cut with mayo or japanese mayo)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do eat out a lot. But I don't eat at fast food chains (with the exception of Panera and Chipotle [burrito bowl only]). I mostly get soup, salad, or sandwich when I eat out. Sometimes Indian (tandoori chicken or aloo gobi). I'm a very conscientious restaurant eater and if you are diligent about looking up nutritional information beforehand, it doesn't have to break your weight loss goals. Especially when you remember that at any restaurant, portion sizes are 2-3 times what you "should" be eating in one meal. If I eat out, it usually means my other meals are smaller.
  • jessepants
    Options
    i'm the 'one big meal' kind of eater so restaurants work well for me. i've tried to do the 5 tiny meals or even just eating breakfast and it leaves me too hungry all day
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Usually about 3 on a good week :wink:
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I pretty much live in a hotel during the week for work as they send me all over the place. Subway and Applebees have been my go to. Especially the Applebees under 500 menu. The sizzling chili lime chicken is pretty good.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I eat out every day . . infact in the last 3 weeks I've made dinner once! . .I usually bike to the gym/work (about a block away from each other) and subway is on the way . . .so I stop there on way home . .skip breakfast

Lunch is popcorn and coffee . . o and there is a sushi place in route along with a pita pit if when I feeling something different!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat out a lot with my work...I'm not very good at it though. It's so tempting to eat too much.
    I try as much as I can to eat simple food - salad without a lot of stuff on it or lean meat with veggies

Sometimes I splurge though if it's a place I really like