bananas

Options
Why do we keep getting adverts on mfp saying 5 foods to avoid etc with a picture of a banana? Are they really that bad for you? I eat them every day and sometimes have quite a few of them and they don't seem to have killed me yet !!!

Replies

• Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Maybe only eating a rotten nasty banana like they show in their ad is bad for you! I ignore stupid stuff like that!!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Why do we keep getting adverts on mfp saying 5 foods to avoid etc with a picture of a banana? Are they really that bad for you? I eat them every day and sometimes have quite a few of them and they don't seem to have killed me yet !!!
    People think they are high-cal, and they are quite high carbs, but most people don't get enough potassium, so thay are quite healthy.
  • apachetear1710
    Options
    I have two bananas a day sometimes - one in a smoothie and another in my pack up for work!! They are also one of my favourite fruits so as long I am within my allowance - I don't worry about it!!
  • KristalandVi
    KristalandVi Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    They are healthy. They have nutrients that most people generally don't get enough of (such as potassium and zinc), and are wonderful for a quick calorie and carb boost. Plus they have a lot of natural sugar in them. That makes them perfect to kick the craving for sweets in the butt.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That ad is referring to High Glycemic foods and Bananas have a value of 70 where donuts have a value of 72. But bananas are still very good for weight loss due to the potassium. The glycemic index shows values of foods that raise or lower our blood glucose levels.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

MFP earns money by selling ad space. This doesn't necessarily mean that the ads you are viewing contain reliable information.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone slip on a banana peel and fall down. They are dangerous! :angry:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

MFP earns money by selling ad space. This doesn't necessarily mean that the ads you are viewing contain reliable information.

I've got adverts for the Cambridge diet on mine ffs
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone slip on a banana peel and fall down. They are dangerous! :angry:

I'd be afraid something like the animal in your avatar would strangle me and take it away.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Maybe only eating a rotten nasty banana like they show in their ad is bad for you! I ignore stupid stuff like that!!

It turns out that the brown is a sign that the antioxidant levels have risen. The brown spots occur when the chlorophyll in the fruit begins to break down and turn into powerful antioxidants called nonfluorescing chlorophyll catabolytes (NCCs) that are beneficial to the human body.

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/dont-throw-away-those-brown-overripe-bananas.html
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I'd be afraid something like the animal in your avatar would strangle me and take it away.

Silver Leaf monkeys are gentle. It's the macaques that steal your stuff.
  • kgaskins
    Options
    The only reason I stay away from bananas is that it interacts with my blood pressure medicine.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Love bananas!
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options
    Love bananas!

Love Bananas :smile:
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    They are healthy. They have nutrients that most people generally don't get enough of (such as potassium and zinc), and are wonderful for a quick calorie and carb boost. Plus they have a lot of natural sugar in them. That makes them perfect to kick the craving for sweets in the butt.
    I have been eating these instead of dessert after dinner (because I always want something sweet) and it works perfectly! You are so right.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options

bump! 'nanna's are awesome!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    That ad is referring to High Glycemic foods and Bananas have a value of 70 where donuts have a value of 72. But bananas are still very good for weight loss due to the potassium. The glycemic index shows values of foods that raise or lower our blood glucose levels.

This^^^^

Also the sugar value in a banana goes through the roof when it starts to go brown. They're fine to eat but best when they're just ripened as the sugar is lower.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I love carby sugary bananas!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options

It turns out that the brown is a sign that the antioxidant levels have risen. The brown spots occur when the chlorophyll in the fruit begins to break down and turn into powerful antioxidants called nonfluorescing chlorophyll catabolytes (NCCs) that are beneficial to the human body.

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/dont-throw-away-those-brown-overripe-bananas.html

That's great to know since that's the way I prefer my bananas. I don't like them green and starchy, I like them mostly brown and sweet. Other people give me their banana's when they get too "ripe" for them. LOL

The problem is, you can't compare calories to calories. A doughnut is 190 calories of pure sugar. A banana is 90-110 calories, of sugar and complex carbs, and fiber and vitamins and on and on and on. I never understand the hate against fruits. YES fruits have SUGAR, but the FIBER in fruit offsets that! I eat a banana and an apple everyday and I still lose weight!
  • joebob66
    Options
    i just ate a banana, i love em, my dogs love em too