Any figure skaters here?

Options
Long and short of it is I started in learn-to-skate back in '98 because I was looking for an activity that didn't include margarita happy hour or step aerobics. I also wanted to skate since I was a kid and never had the chance to learn.

I struggled through to week 5, and I thought "if I don't learn how to go backwards this week, that's it, and it's not for me." So of course that's when I "got it." Learning that initial skill was like a drug and I was eager to learn the next thing, then the next thing after that...

My "rise" in the sport has moved at a glacial pace, but I've loved almost all of it. I've made some wonderful friends in the adult side of the sport since my first ISI Adult Champs in '02 and US Figure Skating Adult Nationals in '05.

This sport feels like cheating in the most glorious of definitions: I'm working my butt off but it doesn't feel like work. And even at my heaviest, I was competitive and happy. Well now that I'm on the right track, I hope to be more competitive!

I'm also a gold-level figure skating judge. Why? I don't know, just love it I guess.

Hoping to connect with any other fellow skaters.

Replies

• anglophileisk8r
    Options
    I'm here but you already know me ;)
  • MelissaG915
    MelissaG915 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    and I loooove you
  • Marie_lesecret
    Options
    I'm here!(:
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Not a figure skater, but I have hockey skates and love to get them on and do some laps as a great form of exercise! I would like to learn skating, but unfortunately, there's no programs in my area targeted to teaching adults...it's all for kids. Ah well.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive artistic roller skater. I skate dance and figures. Same dances as ice. (Paso doble,argentine tango, etc)