NSV - Someone Finally Noticed!

Options
I've lost a little over 43 lbs and up until today no one had even noticed. Not my friends, not my family, no one. But today a co-worker asked me if I'm losing weight. Finally! I'm not crazy about added attention, but it was a little disheartening to have lost this much weight and having nobody even realize.

Replies

• jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are afraid to say something. Weight is a very touchy subject for some. Congrats on your loss and keep up the good work!
  • enigmachik
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah, I know what you mean, some people just won't talk about it....and in all reality, that's better than the people who so FREELY talked about how fat I was/am. lol
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    That is a heck of an accomplishment... congrats!
  • hollybod
    hollybod Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, i have lost 30lbs and not many people have said anything it really bothers me. But every day my husband gives me a kiss and says morning skinny :) he is my motivation.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing the weight, it feels great, doesn't it?

I actually don't mind that very few people have commented on the 44 pounds I've lost.

Especially at work, I hate it when everyone's attention suddenly focuses on me.

Funny thing is though, I know they've talked about my weight loss because one of my friends told me.

Also, I think weight loss on a tall chick like me (5' 10") doesn't always show up so much.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Its just because they see you all the time, if you lost all that weight overnight they would notice straight away.
    Gradual loss not so noticable.

Well done for losing so much :)
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Good for you for losing weight. As for people not noticing, they probably have noticed but as someone upthread has posted, they may not have wanted to say anything because weight CAN be a touchy subject.

Years ago, when I was much younger, I made a really innocent comment to someone about their weight loss only to be ripped to shreds because as it turned out that woman was fighting breast cancer - which I knew nothing about. The whole experience made me feel so awful, that since then, I don't make any comments about people's appearance - other than "nice haircut", "this lipstick looks good on you" or "great outfit". Nothing else. So, enjoy your weightloss and don't worry about people not commenting on it.
  • cissounetteuh
    Options
    Apparently you need to lose about a tenth of your weight for people to realise .... Which is quite a lot! But the most important thing is how great losing makes YOU feel :)

Keep it up

C
  • baodell
    baodell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    congrats! 43 pounds is amazing!
  • jonibc
    jonibc Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Someone finally noticed my weight loss yesterday-- a friend I haven't seen in a few weeks. He didn't know I had been seriously dieting. He even went home and asked his wife if she knew I was losing weight. Finally some validation. I think it has to be someone who doesn't see you every day but knows you well enough to notice. As we lose more everyone will begin to notice. Keep on keeping on.
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people can notice. They are probably just afraid to say something because it can be considered rude, weight is a touchy subject, some people don't want to discuss weight at all, and you never know if somebody has a health issue that is causing them to loose/gain weight.

I think more and more people are being formally trained AGAINST commenting about other's weight - like how we are formally trained not to comment on a woman's hair/make-up (especially if we are males, and especially if we are supervisors).

I'm sure people can tell you look great. And you know what? Even if they cannot tell that you lost anything at all, I'd take that to mean that they never cared how heavy you were in the first place and that you always looked good to them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!