Restarting after being sick

Options
So I'm planning to restart working out after taking almost 2 months off for sickness (cold, then bronchitis, then asthmatic bronchitis, then sinus infection, back to bronchitis, now dealing with pleurisy). I wasn't doing tons before just walking 30 min per day but with my lungs still not 100% I'm trying to get suggestions for where to start.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    A 30 min walk sounds like a decent place to start. You can always slow down or stop if you feel fatigued
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    How are you doing with the pleurisy? I had a mild case for a couple of months and then it became really bad in July. Now 3 months later I don't have pain anymore but I find after having it I get winded even walking up stairs and I'm really winded running. I did a two-miler a full 2.5 minutes slower than I used to. My legs feel like they could go forever but my lungs just give up..it feels like I'm running on half-lungs.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Wow, brutal round of sickness! Glad you're on the mend.

When I was down on bed rest for a couple of months last year, I restarted by just walking. It was slow going at first - I moved slowly and only went up the street at first, and then around the block, and then twice around, and so on. I just did a little at a time as my endurance built back up.

Didn't take too long before I could ease back into my old workouts. Just listen to your body and take things as slowly as needed.
  • GraceK2012
    GraceK2012 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Walking sounds good. Just take it easy, go as slowly as you need to and don't push to keep going if you feel tired. Also, be careful if it's gotten cold now where you are because cold air is hard on the lungs. You might want to wear a scarf that you can just pull up over your mouth [and perhaps your nose as well] so that you're breathing slightly warmed air. And keep that in mind for your winter walks as well, as it can take a while for your lungs to completely recover.
  • dogpeeps
    dogpeeps Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was going to post something similar. I had started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred when a shoulder injury put me on sideline for about 6 months then followed by surgrery which was 8 weeks ago. I am back to walking 2 mi (40 min) per day, but I am looking for suggestions for exercise routines that are less intense than Shred. I am interested in cardio, toning, and use of free weights. If you can send some suggestions out, I'd appreciate it. TY.