Adverse effects of green tea?

Options
I started drinking green tea because of all the good stuff I've heard about it (i.e. antioxidant, helps with weight loss, etc.). However, the last couple of times I've drank it I got so nauseous I had to leave work. Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea why it would upset my stomach so bad?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I started drinking green tea because of all the good stuff I've heard about it (i.e. antioxidant, helps with weight loss, etc.). However, the last couple of times I've drank it I got so nauseous I had to leave work. Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea why it would upset my stomach so bad?
    It didn't upset my stomach but it made me dizzy as hell the last few times. It may be an interaction with the ACE inhibitors I'm taking...don't know, but I stopped drinking it.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yikes! It was just a regular tea bag or did you buy it pre-packaged? Sorry to hear that! I'll keep this post if I see/hear anything
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I get nauseated when I drink green tea too. I can drink most teas but white/green tea makes me ill.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Does coffee also make you nauseous? It could be the caffine affecting you.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I regularly drink strong coffee and there is much less in green tea so for me, that wasn't it.
    I don't know about the OP...
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I found green tea in teabags didn't agree with my stomach - it is ultra fine and too much tea in the bag. I now have a little teapot with an infuser and make my green tea that way with loose leaf tea leaves. You only need about a LEVEL half a teaspoon of tea leaves per regular cup of tea. Compare that to the amount of finely ground tea leaves/dust in teabags and you may have your answer. We grew up with some very close friends who are Chinese and this is the way they had their tea and we were taught the same through our friends.

(yes I do this at work and after the first time or two where I caused a bit of hilarity everyone now just sees it as a normal part of my lunchbreak)
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    From YAHOO:

Side Effects of Drinking Green Tea: Green Tea and Nausea

It's not uncommon for a person drinking green tea to experience nausea and an upset stomach. This is most likely to occur if you drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The culprit seems to be green tea tannins which stimulate the stomach to secrete more acid. This is a particular problem for people who have peptic ulcer disease or acid reflux problems; and for this reason people with these disorders should probably avoid drinking green tea entirely. One way to reduce nausea that occurs from drinking green tea is to drink it only after eating a meal. Adding milk can also prevent nausea, but may inactivate some of the healthy polyphenols.

NOTE: I don't have this problem with green tea, but will get nauseous if I drink very strong black tea and I know its the tannin's. How strong do you make your tea? Maybe try brewing it for a little less time.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I make green tea 3 times a day with tea bags. I drink it hot am and pm and i let a hot tea cool and drink it cold in the day time. Never had a problem with it and i use regular and decaf.

However, if i drink some of the bottle or can green teas i dont feel well at all. Especially the Arizona iced tea due to the ginseng. It gets my heart fluttering and a general feeling of not well.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    From YAHOO:

Side Effects of Drinking Green Tea: Green Tea and Nausea

It's not uncommon for a person drinking green tea to experience nausea and an upset stomach. This is most likely to occur if you drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The culprit seems to be green tea tannins which stimulate the stomach to secrete more acid. This is a particular problem for people who have peptic ulcer disease or acid reflux problems; and for this reason people with these disorders should probably avoid drinking green tea entirely. One way to reduce nausea that occurs from drinking green tea is to drink it only after eating a meal. Adding milk can also prevent nausea, but may inactivate some of the healthy polyphenols.

NOTE: I don't have this problem with green tea, but will get nauseous if I drink very strong black tea and I know its the tannin's. How strong do you make your tea? Maybe try brewing it for a little less time.

In saying that, that is also what the Chinese do with their green tea - drink it with a meal. It aids digestion.
  • klkutz1405
    klkutz1405 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee, but went to green tea to cut out the sweetener & creamer. It upset my stomach a little, but nothing this. I was using green tea bags, Lipton, I think.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    Green tea has also made me pukey in the past. I buy a Stash Green Tea Chai now, and add liquid sucralose and 1/2 T light cream per 1 cup and I think the light cream helps coat my tummy and keeps it from irritating me.
    You can also get green tea in capsules.

Take regular green tea with food? Or have something that coats your tummy with it like the fat in the cream?
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I drink entirely too much coffee, lol!