How to Pick Running Shoes

Options
Firstly, what is the best way to pick running shoes?

Secondly, are there specific types of inserts for shoes for running? If getting a new pair of real running shoes isn't good enough, is there an insert to help my feet? The balls of my feet take a real beating when I run long distances and I get blisters on the inside side of the balls of my feet.

And lastly, is there something I can do for my blisters? They don't hurt too much now, but I'm sure if they burst I won't be able to walk well, let alone run. Any sort of treatment out there for blisters?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is go to a running store (not a big sports store) and get fitted. A good store will do a gait analysis and put you in the right shoe...which should not need to be 'broken in' before you run in them. They will be more expensive than regular tennis shoes, but worth every penny. Running is an experiment of one, so every person will have a shoe that works best for them (I have great luck with Brooks, but they may not work for you).

As far as blisters go, having the right shoe should make them go away, but you can get running socks as well (I love Balega - feels like running on clouds). Good Luck!
  • kareinlib
    Options
    running socks are great for blisters! blistex also makes this waterproof bandaid that's fantastic and stays on for two or three days and it's saved me on multiple occasions
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I originally went to Kohls and bought some light weight running shoes that looked cool, but when I went running they hurt my feet. I did some research and I figured I'd have to go to a specialty store for running shoes. Today after work I went to the New Balance store - they watched me walk, looked at my old shoes for the tread wear pattern, recommend me three different pairs, then let me choose the one I wanted. The lady there told me that the shoes you buy from "big box" stores are different than specialty stores. They don't carry the same shoes. Big box stores sell the cheap stuff at low prices that aren't designed for running, but to look good so you buy them. I can't wait to go running in my new shoes in the morning.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have not been running long, but the first couple of months I was running in a pair of shoes I had around the house. They did not make my feet hurt, but I was having some shin pain, and every time I ran my right hip would be sore for the next two days. I went to a running store and they recorded my stride on a treadmill and outside wearing a neutral shoe. They also checked the wear pattern on my old shoes. Then they had me try four different pair of shoes.- all the type that was right for my foot. They had me run on the treadmill wearing a shoe from two different pair so I could compare them and see which I liked better. Once I had decided on a pair, they let me do a lap outside to see how they felt. They are very comfortable, and after a week of wearing them I noticed my shins don't hurt after a run and my hip pain is much improved. A proper fitting and good shoes really do make a huge difference.