running with a "hurt" knee.... will explain

Options
2»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    <snipped some of the quotes>

i REALLY appreciate the info you(and everyone else) has givin me. i didnt know there was so much to running. im not an outdorsy type of person so when i got my treadmill i was super excited. im definately going to try to watch my distance more but i dont understand how speed isnt important..... i just say "i want to treadmill for a half hour" and then go for a half hour trying to burn as many cals in that time i can. should i instead say "i want to treadmill for x amount of miles"?

It's not that speed isn't important- it's just that you have to build up to it to get speed without injury. If you try to go fast right out of the gate, you get hurt (as you're experiencing). I would consider looking in to a program like C25K. I have not done it myself, but I understand it's structured to allow you to build mileage appropriately, and after (I think?) 6 weeks you should be able to run for a half hour straight. Once you have that kind of endurance, you can then choose to focus on running faster for shorter distances, or move on to longer distances. The point is that your body is conditioned to handle it at that point.

But, yeah I think most runners you ask will tell you how far they run vs how many minutes. If someone says "what did you run today" My response would be "6.4 miles" and not "1 hour" if that answers your question.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Most hardcore runners will get new shoes every 3-4 months, some do it based off mileage and some off age. For me, my running shoes are used for just running (no gym, no strolling around town, just the running and associated cool down walk) and I get new every 3 months. The padding in the shoe breaks down pretty quickly and the last (stiff plate in the sole of the shoe) loosens up, breaking down. Worn out shoes leads to pain and possibly injury. If you like the shoes you have, just get a fresh pair.

I like the walk - jog - walk cycling you're doing, it's good way to build up cardiovascular endurance, and muscle endurance. Cartilage, tendons, ligaments all take a lot more time to become conditioned than muscles do, but I would think the 3 months of regular exercising would have accomplished that.

As someone else recommended, strength training. Now. 3 days a week on your off days from running. It doesn't require much. Body weight squats and lunges are a great start and might be all you need. When I went to physical therapy for knee problems (knee cap would pop out of the normal track when running) the first exercise my therapist had me doing was back step lunges. While you are letting your knee heal, and you really need to, just walk. Walking is good, very low impact exercise.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Don't push through it. I've been having kee pain for months and had 6 weeks off running, it's almost gone.

RICE, Rest Ice Compression Elevation

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS. :)
  • jbug5j
    jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    update: it hurt again today and i had to work. about half way through my shift my knee popped a few times and now it feels fine.... odd huh? not sure if i should still wait a few days till i run or not. i found a better c25k that is designed for the treadmill. hope i can start running soon!