Calling all runners! I need your help!

Options
emtjmac
emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
So I was out on the road today and I'm starting to feel a little cold. I'm on the last week of c25k and so I'm running now for at least 30 minutes at a time. Now that it's getting colder out, I have no idea what to wear! I don't have a million dollars to spend on tech fabrics but I am willing to shell out a few extra dimes to run comfortably in something that isn't old sweat pants. Can someone with the know-how point me in the right direction?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    This subject is coming up often as cooler weather is finally making it's way into more areas. :smile:

Check out this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/764235-brr-running-in-the-cold?hl=running+winter#posts-11358821
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Target and Kohls have tech gear at great prices.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I've found good cheap running gear at marshalls and tj maxx, might check gabriels too. Usually, and especially for men, goodwill and st. vinnie's don't have much in terms of running gear.

My favorite running stuff is wool, but it's pricy. One trick I use is to put a wicking layer next to my skin, then top with old sweats. Keeps me warm without breaking the bank.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You can get base layers at wal mart or target that look and feel like underarmour. They work great to wear under fleece. If its really cold i will put a coat or wind breaker over the fleece. Saucony makes a ski mask out of moisture wicking material for those super cold winter days! I've been running in South Dakota for awhile:) it gets pretty dang cold up here:)
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If it's in the fifties, I wear a t-shirt and shorts with a windbreaker. If it is in the forties, I wear a t-shirt and an underarmor with a windbreaker over it and long pants. If it's in the 30s I add a thin fleece. If it's in the 20s I add a heavy fleece. If it's in the teens I sit by the fire and gaze out the window. :)
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Check out TJ Maxx or a Ross if you have them in your area too, I buy most of my gear there :)

I've also read the general rule of thumb is to dress like it's 20* warmer than it really is
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've found good cheap running gear at marshalls and tj maxx, might check gabriels too.r

I live in Minnesota, where it's gotten cooler in the mornings, and I've had great luck finding really nice warm wicking gear at Marshall's. (Prices are comparable to Target, but better brands - I got some really nice Nike pants for $20 the other day). I haven't checked out their selection for guys, but for women it's really good right now. I also bought two pairs of thin gloves at Target for $3 - they help keep my hands warm at the beginning.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised at how quickly you get used to the cold! I went running recently and it was in the 40s in a tank top and shorts (didn't check the temp before I started off) - and I warmed up very quickly! That said, I got compression running pants pretty cheap at Old Navy as well as a long sleeve running shirt. I also picked up a cheap fleece jacket. Like someone else said, just make sure your under layers are tech fabrics.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I actually LOVE the starter dry-star stuff. They are like $12-18 for a long sleeve compression shirt...I don't have any, and usually run in cotton (not the best I know), need to pick some up!