Making beef jerky

Options
FredDoyle
FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
I'm making jerky but I'm a bit confused about counting sodium for marinade.
I want some hot sauce, worcester and salt for preservation in the marinade, but I know it won't all be absorbed.
I don't just want to measure the left over marinade because the volume may be some beef juice and some of the
salt may be absorbed through osmosis (maybe all of it).
Should I just count it all?
I'm on a sodium reduced diet but I love jerky and the commercial ones are chock full of it.
So, the obvious, don't use any just spices, but does anyone have any other thoughts?

Replies

• clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Perhaps google it. I did see that you can use low sodium soy and worchester sauce which help and making your own would be much better than brought stuff.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Count about half the salt.

Osmosis is the movement of a solution from an area of high concentration to low. So, at the beginning, there is high salt in the marinade, and low salt in the meat.

Equilibrium will be achieved when the salt in the marinade and the salt in the meat equalize.

Ergo, about half the salt will stay in the marinade, and about half will stay in the meat.

Also, unless you have hypertension, salt's not that big a deal. Drink your water and you'll pee most of it out.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Count about half the salt.

Osmosis is the movement of a solution from an area of high concentration to low. So, at the beginning, there is high salt in the marinade, and low salt in the meat.

Equilibrium will be achieved when the salt in the marinade and the salt in the meat equalize.

Ergo, about half the salt will stay in the marinade, and about half will stay in the meat.

Also, unless you have hypertension, salt's not that big a deal. Drink your water and you'll pee most of it out.
    Thanks both for replying.
    I do have, or did have, hypertension.
    I've controlled it through weight loss and cutting sodium (a lot!)
    Good thought about the equilibrium, I should have thought about that.
    I think I'll count about half, and then in the amount I'm going to snack on each day, a bit over won't matter.