40 year old and up runners

Options

Replies

• conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am 43 yrs old...I started running last August, I started with the C25K program. On October 7 I ran my first marathon !!!
    YAY!!!!! Woo Hoooo!!!
    I've run 4 half marathons, 10k's, 10 milers, 5 milers, 5k's, trail runs and obstacle runs too.

Running is freaking awesome! Enjoy it!

Friends are always welcome!!!! You can never have too many runner friends!

~Dawn
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 6 Day 1 of C25k, and I'm 41. I'll send you a request.
    I have NEVER been a runner. I hated it in high school gym class. I did start to get into it a little bit about 7 years ago (wow, that long ago) when I was hiking thru the hills. Never really 'took off' though.
    I'm now deciding between my first 5k. (thinking of doing a 5k at Disney World)

I just did a 5K at DisneyWorld. It was fun! If that's an option for your first, go for it!
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 last week. Started the C25K in May and finished in August. Ran my first 5K in August and just ran another one last weekend. Have one coming up next weekend as well. I do love to run, but not sure if I love it enough to run any further than a 5K. Maybe someday I will feel differently though. Happy running!!
    R U sure you are 50? You look GREAT!!
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The more you run the more you get into it!
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am 39 tomorrow and just started running. I am planning to do a few 5k runs and to prepare for a 78 mile relay race with 5-7 friends to celebrate my 40th birthday next year. I have been fit most of my life but not much of a runner til now. Great to know there are so many other late bloomers out there!
  • Lambja
    Lambja Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always thought that I was not a runner. At age 50 I started running and this past spring at 52 I ran my first half-marathon. I have realized that I am a runner (by no means am I fast) and I hope to have many more years to enjoy the thrill of the run.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and I love to run. I am not a fast runner but I love to run nonetheless. I can run 5k in 33 mins
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Started back at 54 after a 30 year hiatus. :) That was in March of this year. Turned 55 in April, have run 2 5ks so far and one tomorrow, and training for 10k.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I started running just before my 39th birthday, and just ran a 6.3 miles during lunch today at age 40. I've run several 5k races, but have yet to run an official 10k though I can do the distance no problem.

Last October, I ran a 5k in 32:58, this year I ran that same race in 24:21.

I'm addicted to running for sure. I usually put in 16-19 miles a week.
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    I'm 41 and just started running. I'm in week 5 of c25k. I am running my first 5k October 20th!
  • huron81
    Options
    I started running in June of this year, turned 57 in August & completed my first 10K on Sept 28 (It was hard but wonderful!). Am planning on a 2nd 10K on Dec 2. I never ran or did any sports before & now I wake up & the first thing I think is, "Do I get to run today?"
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I started running at 36. I'm now 41. Have run numerous half marathons and 10K's...and also a few full marathons since.
    When I started running I weighed 325 pounds and within the span of 11 months lost 65 pounds and completed a full marathon.

It is never too late to start and age doesn't mean you need to quit either... I know a lady named Hortense... who is 88 this year. She completed the Manitoba Marathon Half Marathon in 2:39 this year.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I started running last year for the first time in my life, just after my 45th birthday. Prior to that, I always said the only way you'd see me running is if something were chasing me!

Since that fateful day, I've run in numerous 5K - 10K races, a 15K and 3 half marathons, the last one in San Diego in early June. The next race season hasn't quite kicked off here yet since it's still pretty warm. I have another half marathon on the 21st of this month and two more scheduled for Dec and January. I'm sure I'll squeeze in a few more races before the end of the race season in March.

Feel free to add me. I have quite a few runners amongst my friends and love encouraging them all.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I've run for many years now, but really got serious 3 years ago when I decided to run 5 marathons for my 50th year.
    I think runners are some of the coolest folk, so add me if you wish. :happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I started late too - ran my fist 5K in September 2009 when I was 53 and am training for my 4th half-marathon in January 2013 (I've signed up for my first marathon next May). It's never too late to get started.......
  • lyfurlong
    lyfurlong Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have always run over the years but doing more now than ever and I finally get the love for it! I ran one 16k race a few years ago but would like to register for an 11 k race in nov.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm 43 and started running only about 2 years ago. My very first race was the 5K TurkeyTrot on Thanksgiving 2010. I've run 5 or so 5K's, an 8 miler, a 10K, a 15K and one half marathon. Training for my 2nd half in December. Who knows, maybe I'll get the crazy notion one day to run a marathon...could happen, nothing is impossible. Three years ago I would have told you that my ever running a half marathon was about as likely to happen as an asteroid hitting the earth but.......look at me know :happy:
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    VERY VERY late bloomer started at 58. Will be running my second half marathon in Miami this January with my four kids! I'll be 61 we are doing this for my birthday!! Never too late I run 6 miles 6 days a week! When I'm training for half I do one 10-13 mile plus every week. If can do it anyone can. Never ran before in my life.

That sounds like a good plan to me, and we're the same age. I'll be 61 in January, too. I don't plan to run a half until March, however. It will be my first half marathon! I'm excited and wasn't sure how to train. I try not to run my 6 miles two days in a row, but I wondered how often I should make the longer run. I like to run 3 days a week and bike 3 days a week, and take Sundays off, unless I have to make up a day for weather, etc.

It's great that your kids will be running with you! I'd be thrilled if one of my four kids was running with me.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and just started today. :) I bought a Garmin HRM with a shoe tag and I LOVE it! Only thing is, it doesn't have the training chart like the Nike runner has. Does anyone know where I can find that information?
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and just started today. :) I bought a Garmin HRM with a shoe tag and I LOVE it! Only thing is, it doesn't have the training chart like the Nike runner has. Does anyone know where I can find that information?
    You can google it and get free training guides. That is where I got mine. Good luck!