Strength training + Calories

Replies

• SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    I split up my cardio because I run to my gym and I run home, I burn way more calories after strength training then I do before. So that's something. Not sure why but as far a I know HRM's don't lie. I also burn more after ST then I would if I just ran to my gym and back without lifting. And I turn my HRM off when I'm lifting cos it's not accurate.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    I've also read several times that MFP gives too high of an estimate??? Can someone offer some insight on this???
    It is possible......I don't know who to believe sometimes, the machine, or MFP :) When I enter my cardio (Elliptical trainer) time into MFP - the calories MFP thinks I should have burned is generally 100+ calories HIGHER than the elliptical display....

I always log the elliptical calories burned though (which is usually lower than the MFP estimate)....
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    As far as MFP for cardio, I've actually found it's fairly close to what my HRM says. I'm guessing there is a basic formula that uses weight, age, heart rate, etc. to come with it. For weight training specifically, I average close to an hour and can usually burn between 250-300 calories doing it. My heart rate can get fairly high when I'm using heavy weights.
  • Should i be increasing my calorie intake on the days i do strength training? Or should i leave it a few weeks and see if i get used to it?
    Sorry about all the newbie questions
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    I split up my cardio because I run to my gym and I run home, I burn way more calories after strength training then I do before. So that's something. Not sure why but as far a I know HRM's don't lie. I also burn more after ST then I would if I just ran to my gym and back without lifting. And I turn my HRM off when I'm lifting cos it's not accurate.

I also turn my HRM off when lifting, because of previous posts that I've read that say it is inaccurate when using while lifting. Just trying to get an idea of how many calories ARE burned while lifting, and quite heavily, I might add.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Strength training does burn calories. by the time I am done i am sweating and beat I wear a HRM when lifting to get an idea of how much I have burned

I previously wore a HRM when lifting, but then read on several posts that it is not accurate when lifting. When entering on MFP under cardio, it gives me something like 163 cals for 45 mins of lifting. Is that too high of an estimate? I've also read several times that MFP gives too high of an estimate??? Can someone offer some insight on this???

Unless you are using weights that are too light for you, it's probably about right, or even a little low, but it depends on your intensity.

I just looked up some links myself:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

http://www.answerfitness.com/296/how-many-calories-are-burned-weight-liftin/

Thanks! Will check all of these out!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    It is probably on the low side if you are doing a heavy lifting routine.

It isn't just low, it is comically low.

It isn't all that hard to calculate the calorie burn from strength training.

If you calculate your resting metabolism (by reconciling CI/CO with weigh-in results), consider strength training a zero calorie activity, do it for a few weeks, and don't do it for a few weeks, keeping track of howm much time you did it when you did, then divide the total metabolism rise by the amount of time spent strength training.

For the most part the results will be jaw dropping. Pretty much everyone grossly underestimates strength training calorie burn. MFP's strength training entry is at best 20% of the actual amount. Science has no clue how to directly measure it either, hence the reason there is a total lack of good sources of info on the subject, everyone just copies everyone else.

There is a reason bodybuilders need to eat 3600-4000+ cal/day to gain any weight while at the same time totally shunning all cardio activity as can interfere with muscle growth. There isn't some crazy voodoo going on, they have to overcome the significant calorie burn of strength training.

The calorie burn though will be highly dependant on what you are doing. If you are doing curlz and kickbacks, you aren't burning anything. If you are doing squats and bench presses you will burn a ton. Compound movements burn a lot of calories, isolation movements don't.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Strength training isn't really going to burn calories.
    This is so, so wrong.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    OP, sometimes we have to tweak the guidelines set by MFP to suit our own bodies. Try increasing your calories with the healthiest food you can manage and see how you feel. I'm not sure if you have a weight loss goal or a fitness goal. Why not try eating more and see how you feel. A few days of figuring out your own calorie needs won't make any difference over time. And, you may find the energy your body needs. Good luck!
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    I wear a HRM while working out, and I burn approximately 240 calories doing my weight routine, which takes about 35-37 minutes. It's not the same burn that I would get from high intensity cardio, sure, but a decent burn nonetheless.

And that's not including the afterburn as muscles are rebuilding.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    If you haven't worked out in awhile.. ease into it.

if you like cardio, try weight bearing cardio exercises.

If you want to target specific muscle groups with lifting, do a 1-2 minute fast cardio exercise to get your heart rate back up to a cardio level in between different weight machines. this will increase the amount of cals you will burn.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    The day after both my workouts this week i have felt exhausted, is this normal for someone who is just starting out?

Absolutely.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Should i be increasing my calorie intake on the days i do strength training? Or should i leave it a few weeks and see if i get used to it?
    Sorry about all the newbie questions

Increase your protein. if you are using MFP auto-settings for calories, then you might want to increase them. I increase mine by 500 more than MFP wanted to give me. MFP thinks I will only lose a half pound per week, but it's closer to 1.5-2 pounds per week.

Check this thread for info on calories and TDEE:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=place+of+road+map

That thread helped me tremendously when I first started.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Hello,

I have been using this site now for 2 weeks, i have been accurately logging all food i eat and the excercise i am doing. I am doing cardio 3 nights a week (which i am logging) and full body strength training 3 nights a week. But adding strength training into the exercise tracker doesnt seem to alter the calories to be consumed in the day.

The day after both my workouts this week i have felt exhausted, is this normal for someone who is just starting out? Or do i need to adjust my calorie consumption?

It is normal when you start out to be tired and fatigued. Listen to your body and rest as needed. Your body does adjust to exercise and you will get stronger, and rest is an important part of building strength. I didn't adjust my calorie consumption for being fatigued. Everyone has to find what works for them.

Best of luck to you! -Bobbie
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Please open your diary
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Strength training isn't really going to burn calories. What it will do is create muscle, boosting your metabolism, making you fitter, stronger, and making it a lot easier for you to shed the fat. Being exhausted is normal, but if you are really sore and so tired you can't do anything at all after then maybe tone it back a bit, it's a lot better to start out light and work your way up.

what?!? I burn most of my calories strenght training. your are not even close to being correct.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Weight training doesn't burn calories from fat the way cardio does, no. But putting on muscle does require more calories from food.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    As far as MFP for cardio, I've actually found it's fairly close to what my HRM says. I'm guessing there is a basic formula that uses weight, age, heart rate, etc. to come with it. For weight training specifically, I average close to an hour and can usually burn between 250-300 calories doing it. My heart rate can get fairly high when I'm using heavy weights.

The better heart rate monitors have also got a measure of your 'fitness' it takes into account when calculating your calories burnt it is call VO2 max these are more accurate than plain HRMs that are more acurate than machines that are more accurate tham MFP
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Strength training isn't really going to burn calories. What it will do is create muscle, boosting your metabolism, making you fitter, stronger, and making it a lot easier for you to shed the fat. Being exhausted is normal, but if you are really sore and so tired you can't do anything at all after then maybe tone it back a bit, it's a lot better to start out light and work your way up.

what?!? I burn most of my calories strenght training. your are not even close to being correct.
    My biggest pet peeve - people giving advice when they are blatantly ****ing wrong.
  • Thank you for all your advice, i have updated my profile to make it visible. I am 27, 5ft 10 and weigh 12'10 with a bodyfat of 26%. I am aiming to lose roughly a stone.

I am going to the gym tonight, i have eaten more protein than normal and have slightly increased my calorie intake.