Underactive Thyroid

Options
Hi,

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid nearly 3 years ago now. My medication has been increased, and is now stable. I have been doing WW for 2 and a half years, have recently started using this site, eat reasonably healthily, and go to the gym three times a week, but I am still not losing the weight. Is anyone else in this situation, or have any tips on how I might be able to beat my thyroid and start to lose the weight before I get married next April?!?!

Replies

• LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey! I actually have had the same problem for almost 10 years now, and things are FINALLY starting to move. What type of thyroid meds are you on if you don't mind me asking? I used to be on levoxyl, but I recently switched to Nature-Throid. This is a more natural medicine that actually mimics your real thyroid hormone, which I've found has worked really well for me.

Good luck!
  • Psychicgoth1989
    Options
    Hi,

I'm on Levothyroxine, and quite a high dose of it! I haven.t heard of any other types of medication, but next time I go for a check up I might ask about it! xxx
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    the broscience folks are going to want to see your diary. As long as you maintain good exercise, stay away from processed foods and junk, and don't go over your calories, you will see a difference. Also, as others have told me, make it about inches, not weight. I don't lose weight very well, but inches drop off me like dead flies. Weird. GOOD LUCK!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i also have had hypo for 13 years and i had a very hard time losing the weight. It took me almost a year to lose 20 lbs and most of it only came off once i had my dose changed in the summer. my tsh is finally in a good place and i feel so great! this was only the second time ever that my meds were changed and wow what a difference it made. i wish i felt better the last 13 years, can't believe i felt like crap for that long before my dr would change it...
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. Been on Synthroid for about 5 years or so. I find I do better if I go higher protein, lower carbs. Problem is I am a carb addict. I am working on that slowly but surely... :) Yes, the weight fluctuates a lot, stands still sometimes but as long is it eventually is gone... I will deal with what ever I have to in between.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    i also have had hypo for 13 years and i had a very hard time losing the weight. It took me almost a year to lose 20 lbs and most of it only came off once i had my dose changed in the summer. my tsh is finally in a good place and i feel so great! this was only the second time ever that my meds were changed and wow what a difference it made. i wish i felt better the last 13 years, can't believe i felt like crap for that long before my dr would change it...

Wow... I am surprised! My doctor checks my levels once a year and if she changes my dose, I have to go back in 3 months to make sure it is where it needs to be. I wouldn't want your doctor. That's crazy. :(
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid and have been doing a lot of research on weightloss. It sounds like avoiding gluten, soy, and eating extremely clean is the way to go.
  • Cyriatan
    Cyriatan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If your thyroid is stabilized, then it functions normally, so everything related to it -as weight loss- should function the same. You may have a low dosage, not stabilized thyroid (it takes a time) or then if your thyroid functions normally (remember that thyroid related problems that are treated are worked to function NORMALLY, including therefore as connected metabolism) then you are not creating enough deficit. Is really hard I think to get the right dosage to make your thyroid function optimally, anyhow if you're taking the meds you are able to lose weight, just try different caloric daily intakes. Count everything and look for another calorie formula asides from the MFP's one as counting exercise burned calories is highly inaccurate even with heart rates monitor (therefore search one that counts exercise in actitivity factor). If your thyroid is treated and because of that functions normally (something you reach with the meds) you have no special reason to not be losing the weight besides the fact a sufficient deficit is not created.

Btw, levothyroxine mimics thyroxine the same as whatever "natural" version, levothyroxine is just a synthetic version of thyroxine. And yes, avoid soy (is thought isoflavones may interact with the medication). I have hypo and yes, I lose weight normally. There's no reason not to when well treated, so if you are, search reasons not to be losing weight as if your thyroid were normal - which is when correctly treated.
  • TheresaMilligan
    Options
    Have been hypothyroid for about 6 yrs now (I think), and had complete hysterectomy 5 yrs this December. So my hormones are totally screwed up! Anyway, I'm on Synthroid (Levothyroxine) and as long as I'm eating right and doing some kind of exercise I am losing ... slowly. However, I'm like someone else who posted earlier: I'm a carb addict - for sure - so I've been struggling this last month. One thing I do know about TSH is that you need to get it between .3 - 3.0 No higher (and no lower). Those are the optimum levels. The number of 4.5 that they show the limit to be on the medical charts at the doctor's office is I believe when they think they should start treating it at. As I said, 0.3 to 3.0.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid and have been doing a lot of research on weightloss. It sounds like avoiding gluten, soy, and eating extremely clean is the way to go.

When are you cycling off? Are you afraid of shrinkage?
  • lin7604
    Options

Wow... I am surprised! My doctor checks my levels once a year and if she changes my dose, I have to go back in 3 months to make sure it is where it needs to be. I wouldn't want your doctor. That's crazy. :(

oh and i get my blood tested every 3 months but b/c i was "technically" normal she wouldn't do anything even thoug it was at the bottom end of being normal. I had to figh hard one time, she finally upped it, felt great for a while and then back to feeling terrible but she wouldn't do anythign after with my dose. Then this time i stood my ground and wouldn't take no for a answer, so glad i did... she is a excellent dr i just think she doesn't know much about the thyroid and how you can normal but not normal,lol...
  • nytweetie
    Options
    I also have underactive thyroid and take .50mgs of Synthroid. Good to read everyone's posts!
  • lin7604
    Options
    i was on 50 and then moved to 88