FEW Ingredients Dinners!!!

Options
Hey there, everyone:happy:

I was just wondering if you guys had any recipes or website suggestions for Recipes for Dinners/Sides with Few Ingredients?!?!?

I like cooking, but when I cook, I usually get my recipes from online. And the recipes online usually require soooo many ingredients. And I'm not a good enough cook to decipher which ingredients could be left out or not.

Sooo, I've looked up some stuff and found a few, but I thought maybe you guys would have some recipes that I could try.

Now, I know with few ingredients, I won't be able to make things from scratch, but that's ok! I don't have the time, money, experience, or desire to make award winning dinners YET. Just something I can make for my fiance when I get home from work.

He eats anything, so no restrictions on what is in it.

Thanks all :flowerforyou:

Frankie

Replies

• jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is 4-6 raw chicken breasts, a can of black beans, a jar of salsa, half a cup of water, and some Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning (can use any taco seasonings also) in the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. Makes great meat for tacos or I like to serve in on salad or eat it by itself. Easy, reasonable carbs, low calorie. high protein. What more can you ask for :)
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I made Hummus Crusted chicken the other nights - really simple and tasty

http://support.cleanprogram.com/entries/20112382-hummus-crusted-chicken-with-rosemary-and-lemon

Comes in at about 390 cal per serving with 50g protein :smile:

Sautéed Chick Peas - http://www.dadcooksdinner.com/2011/03/sauteed-chickpeas.html a nice simple side.

Last night's dinner was simple and very filling...

Rub two chicken breasts with spice rub of your choice (something BBQ, Spanish or Portuguese works best)

Chop up some potato, sweet potato and carrots.

Drop in boiling water for 5 minutes then drain and place into an oven-proof dish (greased or PAM sprayed)

Throw in some chopped chorizo sausage (optional).

Place the chicken breasts over the veg, sprinkle juice of 1 lemon over the lot.

Roast in hot oven until chicken is cooked through - serve and enjoy, nom nom nom :smile:
  • Hogscliffe
    Hogscliffe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Jacket potato and heinz beans sooooo easy and filling :) Oh and low fat etc...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, salt and pepper

Steak and potatoes

Chicken fajitas
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What ever vegetables are in the fridge (onions, leeks, carrots, pepper, sweet potato, celery, fennel, - when I go shopping I make sure to pick up something for this) and a piece of meet or fish. Chop thin, stir-fry. Add spices, soy-sauce, coconut milk and or curry paste, all depending on what you have in the cabinet, and what you feel like.

Healthy, quick, and doesn't take a lot of planning. Just give it a little bit of thought the first 2-3 times, and you'll know how to do it without thinking later.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Simple and easy. I buy a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins, prep a large pan with a little olive oil & about 1/4 to 1/2 cup lemon juice depending on how much I'm cooking at once, cook them all with some basic seasoning (chipotle pepper, thyme, parsley - I avoid the premade seasoning alot due to sodium contents), then I can freeze them in individual baggies so I can grab & go.

When I do grab & go, I take a packet of chicken, some frozen veggies (like broccoli, or mixed beans & carrots), chop up some tomatoes (fav are the mini red & yellow ones), defrost in micro (or use boiling water on the stove top) & occasionally I have some rice (get the Minute Rice Brown & Wild rice cups - 1 min in micro & it's done!). I'll add rice cheese to the veggies sometimes and it takes 10 minutes to get lunch or dinner ready at work or home. If you feel like getting wild & crazy, add sliced almonds & dried cranberries to the rice as a treat sometimes - add about another 150-200 cals but good taste & sweet-tooth curber.

Caloric content less than 400, good protein, natural sodium and fiber all in one.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling about the online recipes. I'm not spending $30-50 on a meal, half of which is for ingredients that will spoil before I can use them again. :laugh:

At my house, we do a lot of meat and veggie meals. I just cook the meat with seasonings and steam some veggies. It *does* get boring. I have found though that a lot of the recipes on Cooks.com are less "gourmet" if you will, but still give me some good ideas. I have also been venturing toward skinnytaste.com to look for ideas.
  • Rynatat
    Options
    One of my favorites is 4-6 raw chicken breasts, a can of black beans, a jar of salsa, half a cup of water, and some Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime seasoning (can use any taco seasonings also) in the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. Makes great meat for tacos or I like to serve in on salad or eat it by itself. Easy, reasonable carbs, low calorie. high protein. What more can you ask for :)

That actually sounds good (minus the seasoning): I think I'll have to borrow that - would taste great on a bed of romaine lettuce with a dollop of avocado on top !
  • jezy_jass
    jezy_jass Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Last night I made vegetables and gnocchi (quick, easy and relatively inexpensive)

Heat some garlic in a large pan then add:

Sliced zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms and a can of diced tomatoes (with the juice - that way you don't need to add any other liquids!)

While cooking the vegetables put a pot of water on the stove for the gnocchi

When the vegetables are almost done, toss gnocchi into boiling water (2-3 minutes)

Drain the gnocchi and toss them in with your vegetables, stir everything to mix together and let cook for a few more minutes.

TA-DA, dinner is served. Sometimes I also add a little lemon-pepper seasoning for flavor, but even without it is very tasty!!
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    These all sound great! Thanks so much everyone, I love it:happy:
  • curlerlikeyou
    Options

Anyone know if this would work with frozen chicken breasts??
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Steak with a side of chicken,

burger (no bun) with a side of another burger or two,

Steak with a side of pork chop.

Steak with a side of steak.

Chicken with a side of steak or burger, or fish.

Fish with a side of more fish and/or chicken, steak or pork chop.

Steak with a side of venison

Venison with a side of steak

Venison with a side of fish

A really big steak

A really big chicken (or a small chicken if you're a girl, which I guess you are since your name is amyllu, which is probably Amy)

^^ Cook that chicken, don't just chase it like Rocky and Ozzy the poor thing.

Did I mention Steak?
  • AngelicValkyrie
    Options
    Going to have to try a few of these
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I use my slow cooker alot. Throw in a meat, a veggie, some potatoes, seasoning. You have boundless choices.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options

Anyone know if this would work with frozen chicken breasts??

I've always had good luck throwing in frozen chicken.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    2lbs chuck or rump roast
    8oz water
    3TBSP soy sauce
    2tsp sugar
    garlic to taste

Put in crock pot on low for 8 hours. Meat falls apart when done, serve with veggies one night. Leftovers for a roast beef salad the next night with tomato, red onion, cucumbers, light dressing.

I make this once a week!
  • Rynatat
    Options
    Steak with a side of chicken,

burger (no bun) with a side of another burger or two,

Steak with a side of pork chop.

Steak with a side of steak.

Chicken with a side of steak or burger, or fish.

Fish with a side of more fish and/or chicken, steak or pork chop.

Steak with a side of venison

Venison with a side of steak

Venison with a side of fish

A really big steak

A really big chicken (or a small chicken if you're a girl, which I guess you are since your name is amyllu, which is probably Amy)

^^ Cook that chicken, don't just chase it like Rocky and Ozzy the poor thing.

Did I mention Steak?

Um, you forgot to mention steak with a side of steak and a steak filet for dessert...

mmmmm.... steak.....