• runrogerrun
    runrogerrun Posts: 122 Member
    this is what MFP states based on my weight and age
    4mph @ 2 hrs = 8 miles 826 Calories
    8 mph@ 1 hr = 8 miles 1,114 Calories

But this is running comparing to walking so all not that fair maybe
  • vogt4mat
    vogt4mat Posts: 3 Member
    This study answers the question. The answer is that you burn the same. If you get to the point where you are actually jogging, you burn a good deal more. But walking will burn the same calories per mile no matter how fast you do it. The research backs it up. There's also a couple formulas at the bottom that will help you find calories burned and net calories burned per mile for both walking and running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    the dude. Its not a medical fact- i just think their bodies found a way to cheat.
  • safarigirlelka
    safarigirlelka Posts: 29 Member
    My Garmin watch (with a wrist HR) always awards me more calories when I run slower but spend more time running. On days when I'm Miss Speedy and run the same distance very fast (and feel I deserve a chocolate treat) I'm always disappointed with the relative low calorie burn.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    OK, here is a scenario, two people walk the exact same route from Point A to Point B (so distance, hills etc is all equal), they are exactly the same height & weight & fitness level (it is hypothetical and this removes additional variables). One walks the distance in an hour, while the other takes two hours.

Who burns more calories?

Who burns more calories in one hour or two? They were walking different amounts of time, so what amount of time are you wanting to compare? While person 2 is still walking, person 1 is still burning calories.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Holy Zombiethread, Batman!
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Read the post..
    Yawned
    Glanced at the nickname, I first misread as -- Captain Boring... ;0

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Here's an article that appears to actually have some facts in it -- not to dis the broscience, but ......
    http://www.runnersworld.com/peak-performance/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn
    I believe I read something recently -- an actual investigation -- that suggested that, in order to burn as many calories walking as you do running, you have to speed-walk at a 12 minute per mile pace. But I cannot find it now.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    OK, here is a scenario, two people walk the exact same route from Point A to Point B (so distance, hills etc is all equal), they are exactly the same height & weight & fitness level (it is hypothetical and this removes additional variables). One walks the distance in an hour, while the other takes two hours.

Who burns more calories?

Wouldn't it depend on what the person who travels from A to B was doing in their 2nd hour?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member

Who burns more calories?

The faster walker will burn a little bit more, but over the same two hr period. A car analogy may better illustrate why

Car A drives somewhere and back in two hours, but is gentle at acceleration and stopping. Car A gets better gas mileage.

Car B driver has a lead foot and does the same course in one hour. It has more rapid starts and stops (momentum shifts, friction) plus a bit more air resistance. It all combines to reduce efficiency and thus gas mileage. Then Car B had to sit idling in the driveway until Car A returned.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I was going to say syphilis but I don't believe that was the question.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    According to the Runner's World article I posted earlier, a person burns 26 percent more calories running a mile than they do walking a mile, and in order to burn as many calories as someone running a 10-minute mile one must speedwalk at a 12.5-minute mile pace.
    So, the answer really is: It depends on exactly how fast they each are going, which you haven't specified.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Calories burned = 0.31 x bodyweight x distance

Time does not factor into the equation