Lifting weights when sick?

Options
2»

Replies

• gottagettagrip
    Options
    I just had this happen... I started to skip it, but then talked myself into it. I soon found I was weaker than I expected. I still did the reps, but lowered the weight to a minimum. That was my compromise. And I was at home too...if it had been a public gym I would have skipped it in the interest of public safety. :smile:
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I surprised there are so many people who are against working out while sick. Unless you are on your death bed I do not see a reason not to workout. If you are lifting I can understand taking a break from that as it can tax your immune system but still do cardio.
  • embercakez
    Options
    I personally do not work out when I feel ill. I would rather rest and feel better, then give it my all in the gym.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I see no reason you couldn't do a light workout but a heavy one would probably not be a good idea. Light workout and nap? Feel better. *HUGS*
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Home weight set. Comment invalid.

there were two statements in that comment. did the second part invalidate both parts? if so, do what you do
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'd err on the side of caution and rest.

As much as I personally hate to do it if I'm sick I'll rest which sometimes means taking the week off from working out. I know that it's supposed to be good for you to workout sick but sometimes even when I'm feeling better if I work out and push as hard as I normally do I feel like I got hit by a ton of bricks the next day.

But if you feel the need to workout then go ahead and do it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

there were two statements in that comment. did the second part invalidate both parts? if so, do what you do

Are you new to internetz.
  • DavPul
    Options

Yes.

And your original question never stated that you had a home gym. So your invalidation is invalidated. Screw that, this whole thread is invalidated.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I had a super nasty bug last week. I didn't lift until I was fully recovered. There is no need to stress your body out when it's already struggling. You aren't going to lose progress and gain 20 pounds in 4 or 5 days.
  • firstsip
    Options

Yes.

And your original question never stated that you had a home gym. So your invalidation is invalidated. Screw that, this whole thread is invalidated.

NDp9h.gif
  • DavPul
    Options

As much as you'd like the entire world to revolve around you, this is a public forum. There are dozens of people clicking on this thread hoping to get an answer for themselves. It's flu season, and people right now have the sniffles or a stuffy head, then see your link and say, "Yeah, I was wondering if I should go to the gym myself. Perhaps this thread will answer *my* question".

So whenever I answer a question in the forums, I try to make it pertain to both the OP and anybody else in the forums that day with a similar issue. Unless you're offering to let every head cold case on MFP use to your house today for a workout and hot cocoa, this is what I feel about your home gym, your sickness today, and your petulant, immature little posts.

UcowjR0EhUitzpFlWXSrVQ2_zps874719bf.gif
  • firstsip
    Options

As much as you'd like the entire world to revolve around you, this is a public forum. There are dozens of people clicking on this thread hoping to get an answer for themselves. It's flu season, and people right now have the sniffles or a stuffy head, then see your link and say, "Yeah, I was wondering if I should go to the gym myself. Perhaps this thread will answer *my* question".

So whenever I answer a question in the forums, I try to make it pertain to both the OP and anybody else in the forums that day with a similar issue. Unless you're offering to let every head cold case on MFP use to your house today for a workout and hot cocoa, this is what I feel about your home gym, your sickness today, and your petulant, immature little posts.

UcowjR0EhUitzpFlWXSrVQ2_zps874719bf.gif

haMEM.gif