Anyone with Hypothyroid issues..?

Options
I've always wanted to know where my weight had come from, beings as I've never really been a big eater, or incredibly inactive. Recently, I've no been feeling myself at all... I've had numerous problems, such as constant fatigue, depression, muscle cramps, certain 'girl problems'.. You name it. But the most noticeable of them all, a huge amount of weight gain.

Since January, I've put on around just under 2st, for no reason.. Which has resulted in horrible stretchmarks, practically everywhere. All around my stomach, my arms, my hips, my thighs.. :frown: I've spoken to someone about all this today and they brought up the topic of 'Hypothyroidism' ... Which I hadn't had a clue about until they explained it to me.

(Before anyone says, I'm not trying to blame my weight gain on this, it's just that my weight basically came out of nowhere, for no reason and I'm finding it difficult to lose.. I'm trying to find out how and why.)

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there with Hypothyroid problems? I'm a bit confused and would like to know if there's anything at all I should know before I go to my doctors next week? I hope it's nothing, but just incase.. :ohwell:

Replies

• xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and have had it since I was 18. I am 44 now. My mom became concerned when I was younger because I was always tired, cold and did not have any energy. I was at the point where I was cold when no one else was. Went to the doc, and a simple blood test showed my thyroid was low. Now I am on medication. Just one little pill every day. My sister is hypothyroid as well and last year, my 11 year old son was diagoised with it.

If your thyroid is low, medication along with healthy eating habits will help with the weight. Medication has really helped with the tiredness and low energy over the years. I still get cold, but all my blood work comes back fine. PM me if you like.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I too have hyperthyroidism. The doctor recommended 6 ounce blocks of extra sharp cheddar cheese to kick my metabolism back into gear. You should try the especially before and after a workout.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have slight hypothyroidism, I only take about 30mg of a medication for it. Even at that small amount, it made a world of difference! So, I can only imagine having it be more acute.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Other symptoms of Hypothyroid issues (just going off of experience here, there are a lot more I'm sure):
    Dry Skin
    Joint aches... especially with hands and fingers
    Weight Gain - (given)
    Fatigue - to where brushing your teeth and washing your hair exhausts you!
    shorter temper fuse (if I miss my meds for a few days, my wife avoids me)

I was diagnosed while in college... umpteen years ago. I'm now on a dosage that has helped tremendously but I'm still on the higher end of the "normal" range. Go get your blood checked for it, it never hurts to find out if you are or not...
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have it :( You can friend me if you'd like. We can help motivate each other
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    I try to avoid medication where possible. Try healthy thyroid remedies such as cheese and tuna fish juices. These are thyroid boosting foods with no carbohydrates.
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed just over a year ago after my daughter was born. I am on meds for it and they have literally changed everything. Well...except being cold! Feel free to add me! I try to do some exercise everyday and eat relatively healthy.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and was just diagnosed on Wednesday. I was actually told to have it checked by my psychiatrist because I am ALWAYS tired, feeling crappy, having high anxiety, and extremely bad periods. He got it tested (along with vitamin D, B12 and Folate, and Iron) all of which im extremely deficient in.

Keep in mind, i've already lost all the weight I want to lose and am just maintaining and found this out AFTER the fact. So as far as you eating a caloric deficit and working out... it should still be effective. It might just take you longer. Supposedly once you have it in the normal range it should be no problem to lose weight. (why am i finding this out a year later?!? LOL)

Anyway, while i definitely this it is a medical issue, I wouldn't let it discourage you or let you think it's impossible. :) Ne excuses.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Me!! I have it. This website has helped me TONS!: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Being on a medication such as Armour (the generic called NP Thyroid by Acella is Awesome!), helps most better than Synthroid. It's not a fun disease, but when regulated on the right amount of meds and not JUST going by blood work, it can make a world of difference.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    there is an MFP group for this - mega lot of information:

HYPOTHYROIDISM AND HYPERTHYROIDISM

you should join.

it's what all the cool kids are doing.

=^x^=
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Make sure to have a full thyroid panel done. Your doctor may just want to test your TSH and that's not the most reliable means of diagnosing thyroid issues. At the minimum you should have TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 tested. The tests are explained here:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/bloodtests.htm

There's also a hypo/hyperthyroid group here on MFP.

-Cynthia
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I try to avoid medication where possible. Try healthy thyroid remedies such as cheese and tuna fish juices. These are thyroid boosting foods with no carbohydrates.

With all do respect, for most thyroid patients, a diet will not bring thyroid levels up. If the person has Hashimotos type of thyroid disease, being gluten free can help abate the attackes on the thyroid, but meds are still needed. There are natural type of meds that are best such as a t3/t4 combo called NDT (natural dessicated thyroid). The synthetic ones such as synthroid can cause MORE issues than it's worth.
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi

Yep me. The exhaustion goes beyond anything you have ever experienced, I was falling asleep at 7.00pm, lost interest in everything and put on 5 stone in 3 months. I'm on 175/200 mg alternate days. If there is a history of it in the family get it checked out.

Vicky x
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I have it as well. Even after starting medication my doctor told me that medication will help but won't take off the weight. She said you must exercise 5-6 days a week for 45-50 minutes at a time and eat healthy. I listened to her and she was right. Dropped the weight only after watching my calories on here and working out 6 days a week. The pill alone did not do it for me but it did help my hair start growing back and I don't feel exhausted all the time like I use too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed just over a year ago after my daughter was born. I am on meds for it and they have literally changed everything. Well...except being cold! Feel free to add me! I try to do some exercise everyday and eat relatively healthy.

Omg I am freezing all the time and have to wear sweaters in summer (I live in Texas) is this why?
  • lovinlife22
    lovinlife22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are SEVERAL of us on MFP....do a search of forum topics.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options

With all do respect, for most thyroid patients, a diet will not bring thyroid levels up. If the person has Hashimotos type of thyroid disease, being gluten free can help abate the attackes on the thyroid, but meds are still needed. There are natural type of meds that are best such as a t3/t4 combo called NDT (natural dessicated thyroid). The synthetic ones such as synthroid can cause MORE issues than it's worth.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Dr. Oz on Oprah even endorsed natural eating to help cure metabolic issues. Are you as smart as Dr. Oz? I think not!
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Im on medication aswell! I was the same as you had crazy weight gain out of no where, and had a doc that didn't belive in meds. FInally went to my dads doc and he checked me and put me on meds. I noticed a huge different in taking the pill and changing my eating habits! in the first month i was down 25 pounds with no effort. I took it for 6 months, ran out and never got more! gained a bunch of weight back (even though my eating never changed) I have been on it since then and have found it ALOT easier to get the weight off.. I went from 250 to 160 on my meds and I truely believe if it wasn't for the help of them it wouldn't have come off!
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Dr. Oz on Oprah even endorsed natural eating to help cure metabolic issues. Are you as smart as Dr. Oz? I think not!

I disagree with you 100%... If you have a bad enough issue you need your meds! I did the on and off of them and am proof that my body needed them.
    If you didn't need them docs wouldn't give them to you! And you NEED them as a female when you try and have a baby cause if your thyroid isn't right, it makes it hard to conceive a child