Worked out 4 times this week, didn't lose anything

Options
I'm very disappointed, and I'm close to giving all it all up . Need some new friends and support. I'm a 29 year old with a almost 3 year old son. I opened my diary up so i'm held accountable. I am 5'3 and weigh 233 My goal is 140. I have lost about 42 pounds since Nov 2009 (when my son was born) I guess i'm going for the slowest loser competition!
I have a desk job. I work 7:30-4:30. I work out at next door at the YMCA on monday-wednesday-fridays during my hour long lunch break. I hurry over there, get changed out within 10 minutes. I spend about 22 minutes on the elliptical and burn average about 220 calories (according to the machine.) Then I follow the ActivTrax program - which sends me around the select-a weight type resistance machines for another 22 minutes or so. I generally do 14-20 reps on 6-7 different machines. The weight is a medium amount of difficulty. Easy to start - struggling to finish. Each time I work out the activtrax program sends me to different machines. Then change back out and scurry back to work.
I've done all the TDEE calculations and I've read those threads closely. So I set my MFP to 1750 calories a day, and I always eat back my exercise calories. I admit, I go over my calories many days too, but nothing I consider horrible. I do not have a problem with binging. This past week, I felt I was decent on my food, and I even worked out an extra day - Tuesday for 4 days this week, and I didn't lose a single tenth of a pound! It was exactly the same. I try to stay around 100 carbs a day, which is what Mark's Daily Apple recommends. (I strive to be low carb/paleo, I just can't seem to execute it.)
My husband is in culinary school and he is a type 1 diabetic on a insulin pump. He brings home yummy deliciousness every night from class. I eat one serving of whatever it is (this week was puff pastry concentration) out of respect for my husband. I always write it down and account for it.
Help me wise MFP friends!

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy.

And don't give up!:drinker:
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Don't give up I work out 3-4 times a week and I am about as big as you are. I know that I will go without loosing some weeks. Also its about how you take in those calories. I can stay under my calorie take for the day but if I do that and I am not eating right it wont help me lose anything. I also walk on a treadmill twice a week with a 2 incline for about 60 mins I burn over 600 calories in that hour I would say try that out.
  • SoonerVet
    Options
    Just anecdotal evidence.... sometimes I find that I will be awesome at working out/eating healthy and I won't drop weight for a week or two. Then suddenly one day I will wake up and be 2 lbs lighter (despite being on a 0.5 lb/week loss diet). And this weight will be steady for another week or two or even three then suddenly drop overnight. No facts or explanation to back this up, but just letting you know you may just need to be patient! And great job on working out!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Give it more than a week? Seriously - there is no instant gratification to any of this. It takes tiiiiiimmme. Also, focus more on your diet than on exercise - it's 80% of the problem. I was lifting and doing cardio 5 times a week for a year and fluctuating around the same 5 pounds, but I didn't start losing again until I went to a nutritionist who convinced me to lower my calories slightly (I only dropped it by 250 calories) and make better choices. I've lost 10 since July (40 total since I started this process), when the entire year before I essentially lost none. Exercise will make you look and feel better, but it's what you put in your mouth that determines your weight.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    1. Weight loss is not linear.
    2. If you give up, you won't get anywhere.
    3. You mention TDEE and setting MFP to 1750, but then you mention eating exercise calories. If you use TDEE -[15-20%] you are not meant to calculate your exercise calories separately and eat them back because TDEE already includes exercise. If you set MFP up to lose x lbs a week, then you eat your exercise calories back because MFP calculations do not include them until you actually exercise (and if you're using machine calculation of exercise cals, or MFP's for that matter you might want to try eating only half - three quarters back since those calculations are notoriously inaccurate). So which are you doing?
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just remember it didn't take a week to gain the weight. Slow and steady is how it needs to be done. Maybe try to keep at your calories without eating back your exercise calories. My dietican told me to mix it up a bit. On day stay at my calories, the next day go a little under and one day go a little over. You need to confuse your body.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Just be patient! Weight loss is a slow process, as you've already noticed. If you want to make sure you're on track, 1) keep measurements other than weight (use a tape measure) and 2) make sure you're weighing your food and actually eating the portion sizes that you think you are!
  • Scotland_forever
    Scotland_forever Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try switching the exercise? Your body can concentrate more if you do the weights first. Also try 10-12 reps with a heavier load. And lots of water :)
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    hang in there. Don't give up! It's harder to get started again. I would try making one change in your routine to kick start that metabolism again.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a pretty slow streak, but if there's a downward trend, that's still downward right? I put on 1lb according to the scale this week, but I'd give it more than a week if I were you!

Also, if you've worked out your calories using TDEE, then this number already accounts for your activity level, so you shouldn't be eating your exercise calories back. Your TDEE is calculated by multiplying your BMR by your activity level, so each day should remain caloric intake despite exercise. I'm not saying that's a golden rule that you *must* stick to, obviously if you've worked out hard and want to eat then eat!! Just thinking it might be part of the reason for slow loss.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If you're eating back your exercise calories and then sometimes going over some, that's probably your issue - those machines as well as the MFP calculator way overestimate your burn. Unless you're using an HRM, don't eat back more than 50% of your exercise calories. Make sure you're weighing and measuring, and log everything that goes in your mouth. And like others have said, be patient - weight loss isn't linear.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Try drinking lots of water. There's a good amount of sodium in your diet, and if you want to see the number really drop, drink more than 8 cups a day.
  • candicelee80
    Options
    Just anecdotal evidence.... sometimes I find that I will be awesome at working out/eating healthy and I won't drop weight for a week or two. Then suddenly one day I will wake up and be 2 lbs lighter (despite being on a 0.5 lb/week loss diet). And this weight will be steady for another week or two or even three then suddenly drop overnight. No facts or explanation to back this up, but just letting you know you may just need to be patient! And great job on working out!

I agree! I have the same thing happen to me! Be patience(as hard as that is!! ) :wink: Make sure you are getting good nutrition, lacking in good nutrition will cause alot of things! I have seen in my own life that I gain weight from not eating good quality foods even though I may be UNDER my calorie goal! As fro the sweet treats, I have a similar problem with a hubby who ISN'T worrying about his weight and brings home all kinds of things, especially my downfall foods!!

I would see about adding in weights? Building muscle will help burn more calories and it makes me feel better about myself and how I look even if the scale # hasn't changed much. Maybe you could workout after work(I know its hard :noway: ) but that way you could workout longer? You may need to increase the burn more. I have always had to work harder then everyone else for a lb compared to their 5lbs. I have an idea of what I want and I hold on to that!! Good luck and if you need friends add me!! :) Hope anything helps ya!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters:

1. Lift enough weight that you struggle to complete 10 reps, not 20.

2. If you are basing your daily calorie allowance on a cut from your TDEE, then do not eat back your exercise calories.

3. Weight loss is not linear. It comes in spurts and you will go days and maybe weeks doing all the right things and seeing no progress on the scale. But it will come off.

Don't give up, you can do it!
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    pokat, You need a block of cheese to help boost your metabolism. I recommend at least 6 ounces of extra sharp cheddar cheese. There's no carbs in cheese so it's a health food. Trust me -- Dr. Oz on Oprah said so.
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are having troubles with this right now. I just browsed quickly through your diary for the last few 10 days or so, and I does seem that your carbs are way over most of those days. I would definitely try to get them lower. I know you say you're aiming for 100 grams a day. I don't know what the magic number is, but I try to keep mine 150 or below (usually around the 100 g mark). Of course some days I do go over my limit on carbs. I think I would try sticking closer to your calories of 1750, too and not eat back all of your exercise calories - maybe half, but not all. You might want to try lowering your daily calories by 100 for a few weeks and see if that jump starts some weight loss.

I am not an expert in losing weight or else I would have been thin long before now, but I am only going by some things that are working for me and some things I have read from the numerous threads on MFP and articles on the web.

It's so great that you are committing to exercise (something I haven't been able to do on any regular basis except for my stationary bike). I hope you don't give up. After all 42 pounds lost is something to be extremely proud of!! Great progress so far!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    LOL, 4 times this week, saw no effects, about to throw in the towel....

Your motivation isn't even close to where it needs to be. If it is this easy for you to give up, do it. Then do some soul searching and figure out why you want to do this in the first place.

Then you an either choose to do it in a matter where there is no such thing as giving up (can you as a parent give up on your kids?) or become at peace with the fact that you don't really want to do it.

If you can give up you will never maintain any success you may have.

Right now you're doing things you'd rather not do to reach a goal you don't feel all that strongly about. Sounds like a recipe for success.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Has it really only been a week or two? Regardless, I would recommend weighing once per month, or every other week if you have to. Keep in mind that you are also doing strength training at the same time, so you could be making some gains there, albeit the right gains.

Also, you sodium intake is quite high almost everyday. Perhaps be more mindful of this? I noticed a lot of cheese in your diet, perhaps cut back a bit and eat more whole foods.

I gained six pounds this summer and as of October I'm getting back into my routine again. It's been just under two weeks and I have actually gained a pound! It takes time.
  • Broncsoup
    Broncsoup Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a stock analyst for a living and I can tell you that a downtrend is made up of lower lows and lower highs. I find losing weight to be the same. I'll drop 3 lbs and gain 2 back. Then I'll go a week, sometimes two weeks were I'm just bouncing back and forth between that new weight. Then all of the sudden I'll drop 2 or 3 lbs again. What I'm saying is, one week doesn't make a trend. Keep at it. Keep working hard.

For me. I usually struggle most when I'm not consistent on my portions. I also found that when I was training for a half marathon and I was doing a lot of running, I wasn't losing as much weight either. Now that I'm lifting a again, I find the weight is coming off at a better rate. I also try not to eat all my calories from exercising. I try to leave at least 200 on the table, but I'm a big guy and I get a lot of calories, so you may have to go with a smaller number. Unlike many I see on here, I usually think a calorie is a calorie. If you've seen the Junk Food Diet man who lost weight eating Hostess foods, you can eat what you want and lose weight as long as you keep the calories low. This usually means you don't get much to eat after you eat a Twinkie. But studies have shown that higher protein diets do seem to burn fat faster.

In the end, you're doing awesome! keep it up and don't give up. Slow weight loss is the best because you are more likely to keep it off, according my sister the dietician. I've lost a lot of weight with Atkins, South Beach and The Zone (is that right, the anti-sugar one) and I've regained it every time. The reason why is that I'm just never going to stop eating chips and dessert. Now I eat them, but I just make sure I have the calories and I eat a lot less of them. I'm down almost 40 lbs, but I've been at it since February. It really does feel like it's a lifestyle I can live with and not just a fad diet where I'm going to regain all my weight afterwards.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!! You can do this!!!