HRM accuracy

Options
So I recently got a new heart rate monitor because my other one kept crapping out during my workouts. It would quit reading my heart rate. My new one stays on the duration of my workout but I'm now wondering how accurate it is. On my runs, it is saying I burn anywhere from 800-850 calories for a 4-4.5 mile run. That seems really high. I do have to say that the area I run in is very hilly so I am working hard on my run. But can I really be burning that may calories? I am 33, 5'6, 146 lbs. Thoughts?

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Do you look at your heart rate when you're running? When I'm jogging along on a flat surface my HR stays around 154, but as soon as I am going up a hill it spikes up to 175 which really the highest it ever gets. This is huffing and puffing and telling myself "DON'T STOP! KEEP GOING!" haha :)

The other day I ran 2.5 miles on a completely flat road and burned 315 cals, so the fact that yours was twice as long and with hills makes me think it's accurate.

Edited to add that I am 5'8" and 158lbs if that helps
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right to me. My first 5k I burned over 600 calories and my heart rate got up to 207 so if you're running 4-4.5 miles I would say that's accurate... Inclines will make you burn a lot more!
  • jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your in put. My heart is any where from 158-187 during my run. All depends on the steepness of the hill I'm running at the time.