Snacks in the workplace

Options
The Company I work for is infamous for having little parties here, cupcakes, brownies, cookies, cake...you name it EVERY WEEK! Trying to stay clear of the buffet table at all costs.

Anyone else have this problem?!

Oh and hello, I'm new here :)

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    So?

Just don't allow them to shove food in your piehole and you will be golden :smile: .

I mean, unless that's your thing. Welcome!
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    So?

Just don't allow them to shove food in your piehole and you will be golden :smile: .

that's it folks, shut the thread down. lol
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Same with HR here...seemed everyday I walked past their dept they'd have cookes, donutes, muffins, chocolates...EVERYDAY...then once a year they promote health with a Health Fare here at work where they break out the healthy stuff..lol.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    So?

that's it folks, shut the thread down. lol

It's what I do. *pops collar*
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    MMmmmm pie.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I had me some pumpkin pie yesterday and it was amazinnnngggg.

Just allow yourself what you want in moderation and not too frequently and you'll be fine!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You've got the right attitude - AVOID the snacks. Bring in your own healthy snacks and if/when the urge hits you - eat one of your snacks. There are a lot of protein bars out there that will surely demolish your sweet tooth!!

Now if someone has handcuffed you to the chair and is forcing you to eat the donut - then I suggest filing an HR complaint. that's just harrassment. :tongue:
  • heater26
    Options
    So?

Well maybe I don't have your will power.

What if they hold me down?

Just saying I'm better off with the out of sight, out of mind concept
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    So?

Well maybe I don't have your will power. ~~~Then find it

What if they hold me down?~~Sit down and enjoy it

Just saying I'm better off with the out of sight, out of mind concept~~Find another job
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    So?

then close your eyes?

EDIT! or get an eye patch! that would be amazing...because I like pirates.
  • emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's the candy around here. I just imagine they are little pieces of **** wrapped in tiny foil packets...
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    We have a donut fairy that regularly brings in delicious pastries and many hey we're having pizza days. Sometimes I indulge, sometimes I overindulge and sometimes I stay away (like this right now even though a maple bar is calling my name).
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The first place I worked cured me of any temptations from workplace food.
    When food was put out, there was literally a rush of all the really fat people so that illustrated to me a strong association between snacking and weight(or weight gain).
  • Grandmasboy2852
    Options
    IS it right by your desk / area?

I know at my work which is very similar there is always food available...mostly cookies and brownies and stuff.... but most the time it is out of sight and out of mind.... If it is your sight, unfortunate for you I would say your going to need alot more will power than me for example where I would have to leave my desk in order to get / see it....but I mean as everyone is saying... Just dont get any...

I know its much easier said than done, It's just going to take practice and will to break the habit.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Heck yes, I work in a place like that. And when I was pregnant EVERY BODY in my workplace wanted to shove food at the prego girl at the front desk!!! Nowadays I go with everything in moderation and skip a lot of snacks that people put out. It's just what you have to do to be healthy!
  • bcerz811
    bcerz811 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My work is the same way. And I am also an "out of sight out of mind" person. My best solution has been to avoid the break room like the plague, unless I need to fill up my water bottle. And when I do that, I don't even look in the direction of the snacks. I head right to the water cooler, turn my back, fill up my bottle and leave. I also keep my own healthy snacks at my desk so if I get hungry, I don't wander into the breakroom to get my lunch out of the fridge and notice all the snacks. :)
  • LipstickandIron
    LipstickandIron Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My workplace also does this. In the beginning willpower was difficult because they would bring in food from very expensive restaurants that I normally cannot afford and it was a nice treat. After some serious effort, willpower has gotten better and I no longer want to eat what they bring in. On occasion when I want to splurge I will enjoy some of it without guilt. It takes a lot of effort and sometimes a little jealousy to to get a hang of it. If you do eat something and feel guilty about it remember that the next day. You don't want to feel that way again. Also, maybe up your exercise on days that you splurge to burn some of those excess calories.
  • KaylaMae123
    Options
    If your just starting it's hard. But you HAVE HAVE HAVE to find the will power to say no. Temptation will always be there, at first it's really hard to say No, I use to have mini battles in my head trying to justify ways that I could eat "just one brownie cause I worked out" or whatever. But I promise the farther into the journey of health you get the easier it is to say No. You won't even want that stuff anymore.

But when it comes down to it, it's all about will power.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I bring in my own snacks. Peanut Butter, Fiber One Bars, fruit etc.

When people ask if I want something I say no thanks I have this & eat my snacks if hungry.

You don't need to explain to them why you don't want it.

Good luck!
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Not so much at my job...once in a whil they get pretzels or water ice in the summer. Our department does celebrate when someone has a birthday, but it's not every week that this happens.

However, our office does have a "no eating at your desk" policy where they say it's okay to have snacks that are bought at the vending machine or store bought bags of goodies, but you're not allowed to have other snacks at your desk (such as fruit bowls--that was an actual example of something you're not supposed to have at your desk). We noticed they added one granola bar choice to the vending machine-someone must have complained all the stuff in the machine was junk. That granola bar is probably junk too and full of sugar. Other than that, the rest of the vending machine is your typical chips, cakes, cookies, and pretzels.

:noway: