Planking news

Options
I have been rowing and lifting and kind of doing crunches but not that many

Someone mentioned Planking as the best Ab work out so I pulled a video on 'how to' from youtube

I got down on the floor and he said if you can not hold the postion for more than 15-20 secs go down to the beginnners position

all the while I am planking and watching.....then the video finshed I noticed that it said 1:17 long...It was easy!

I thought no that can't be right this is meant be hard so I turned my ipad to stopwatch and did it again just to check

Those weighted crunches must be working better than I thought - under all the fat there must be some muscles LOL

I posted this on the wrong board I think - so forgive me if you have seen it before!

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If crunches are the little pink dumbbells of ab workouts...

Planks are the little blue ones.

Things like hanging leg raises, hanging L-holds, hollow holds for time, v-ups, l-sits/v-sits, and dragon flags are much, much, much harder.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I like, well let's say prefer, doing lying leg raises holding a 15lb dumbbell between my feet. OP has your bubble been burst well enough? ;)
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Things like hanging leg raises, hanging L-holds, hollow holds for time, v-ups, l-sits/v-sits, and dragon flags are much, much, much harder.

I have done leg raises on a weird ball thing with arm rests but I don't even know what those other things are ---- well back to you tube I go I suppose
  • joannathechef
    Options
    I like, well let's say prefer, doing lying leg raises holding a 15lb dumbbell between my feet. OP has your bubble been burst well enough? ;)
    yep bubble burst all over the place

I do inclined sit ups holding a 25lb plate on my chest too so that must be similar...???
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Just googled dragon flags.. dude.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the rowing has helped too! (When I first started rowing a couple of years ago my abs hurt like crazy afterward)

Do you have a mirror or someone to check your form while planking? It's very easy to let your butt creep up a little which makes it easier - if you're employing good form and holding it for more than 1 minute right off you're doing very well.
  • joannathechef
    Options
    OMG - just looked at dragon flags...no way
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

How does that work? I started off with leg raises, but have abandoned them since moving to other programs. I tried doing some the other day and they were all too easy, except the "V" ones. (I should be better at that one with as many times as I've been in that position. :blushing: )

So... I am trying to figure out the logistics of it. How do you use your feet to lift the weights during leg raises?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    OMG - just looked at dragon flags...no way

OMG is right! I just looked on Youtube. HOLY CRAP! I am a LONG way from those. :laugh:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

How does that work? I started off with leg raises, but have abandoned them since moving to other programs. I tried doing some the other day and they were all too easy, except the "V" ones. (I should be better at that one with as many times as I've been in that position. :blushing: )

So... I am trying to figure out the logistics of it. How do you use your feet to lift the weights during leg raises?

Put a dumbbell in between them and hold it tight
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Put a dumbbell in between them and hold it tight

Thanks. I don't have regular dumbells, just using household objects and weighing them with my bathroom scales. :laugh:
    I think I get it now though. I will have to try to find something to use. I like that idea!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Just googled dragon flags.. dude.
    [/quote]
    wow, never tried these before -- they look so hard! thanks for sharing, I will try these out.