Chicken Tortilla Soup

Options
I am looking a a chicken tortilla soup recipe, anyone know of any? Thanks!!

Replies

• TtotheAtotheB
    Options
    Go to: http://www.aimeesadventures.com/ I think it is one on this site if not a lot of other low fat recipes... Enjoy
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I actually bought her cookbook years ago and this recipe was in it. I haven't made it, but lots of her other recipes are really good.
  • vachegomoo
    Options
    I actually just found a recipe for this a few weeks ago! It was from allrecipes.com, but I doctored it a little.

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1-10 oz. can enchilada sauce
    1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2-14.5 oz cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 can black beans - rinsed and drained
    4 oz. can green chiles
    1 medium onion diced
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    1-10 pkg frozen corn

Toss it all in a crock pot, simmer for 6-8 hours on low. High would be about 3-4 hours. I also threw in a can of spanish rice that was laying around, but next time I'm going to use brown rice and just add a little extra seasoning. I'm probably going to use 2 packages of corn as well since we like chunkier soup. My husband topped his off with some cheese and tortilla chips, but I left mine plain. It was fabulous, I'm definitely making it again!
  • vachegomoo
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add... I didn't cook the chicken before hand, I just tossed it in raw. Then, when there was about an hour of cooking time left, I pulled it out and shredded it. It was super tender, and it saves some time.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have a really good one!! This one is delish and not too fattening!!!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Non stick cooking spray
    8 6inch corn tortillas
    Salt
    2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
    1 Medium Onion Chopped
    2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
    1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained
    1 can (15 oz) black or pinto beans
    1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
    1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, drained
    1 package (1 ¼ oz) taco seasoning mix
    2 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    Shredded cheddar cheese
    Chopped cilantro
    Sour Cream
    Lime slices (optional)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray baking sheet and both sides of the corn tortillas with cooking spray. Slice the tortillas into strips, sprinkle lightly with salt. Place on baking sheet: bake for 12-15 minutes or until crispy and lightly brown. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a dutch oven or soup pot, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft. Add chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, chilies, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Add chicken broth, stir. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10-15 mins. Stir in lime juice.

To serve, place a few tortilla strips into soup bowl, ladle soup over. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Top with remaining tortillas strips. Garnish with sour cream and a lime slice.
    You can also add avocado to soup if you wish.
  • NPJulesF
    NPJulesF Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 - 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
    cook the breast in a crock pot, low for 6 hours with a little salt & pepper.
    take the breast out and shred with 2 forks (freezes well for salads and other soups)

1 onion
    2-3 cloves garlic
    1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
    1 32 ounce container of chicken broth
    cumin
    chili powder

saute onion and garlic till brown, add tomatoes. Heat up.
    pour mixture in blender and liquefy
    pour back in pan and add chicken broth and seasoning.

serve with
    diced avocado
    diced jalapeno peppers
    tortilla strips
    cheese

I love cheese - so I leave off the tortilla strips and enjoy the cheese & avocado

This is a FAMILY FAVORITE of the kids and hubby and I love it because it is relatively low cal and healthy.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Dawn's Best Chicken Taco Soup Ever (easy peasy)

1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1 can rotel diced tomatos with green chilis (you choose how spicy)
    1 can enchilada sauce
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 small can tomato paste
    1/2 packet taco seasoning
    1 1/2 cups water
    2 cups milk
    2 boneless chicken breasts

Drain black beans and corn. In crockpot (before adding any other ingredients), add cream of chicken soup, tomato paste, and milk; whisk together until smooth. Pour black beans, corn and diced tomatos (do not drain) in crockpot. Add water, taco seasoning and chicken. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
    Before serving, take out chicken and shred it; put it back in and stir it all together. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, lime, avocado, or tortilla chips.
  • couldbe
    Options
    how many calories for this soup ?
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later - all of these recipes sound awesome!!!