Form Problem with Front Squats

I'm doing front barbell squats with New Rules. You're supposed to lift the bar at chest height and let it roll back on your fingers. This may sound bizarre, but my fingers are extremely hyper-extensive (i.e. double-jointed). Normally I can almost bend them completely backwards with little pain, but putting 50lbs on them is a different issue. This freaking HURTS. My theory is that they just don't have the sturdiness that other people's fingers have, like the chick in the pics in the book who actually seems to be able to do this.

I've been just holding the bar front of me with a normal overhand grip. Is this modification a big deal?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Could eventually put a lot of stress on your wrists. The bar should actually rest across your deltoids and upper chest. Some people actual have the bar there and their arms folded in an x in front their chest with palms on the bar and elbows pointing out. You would need a rack to take the bar off\on for this vs power cleaning the weight up though.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Thx. I'm using a rack for the exercise. I may have to try the arm crossing thing. All I know is when I try to roll that bar back on my fingers it feels like someone's trying to break them.
  • FullOfWin
    Think more of it resting on your front deltoids and sternum area.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Think more of it resting on your front deltoids and sternum area.

I'll try that. It sucks too because I have nothing on my sternum but skin, but not as much as it hurt my poor digits.
  • FullOfWin
    Mostly on the delts. Sternum for backup. Or alternatively do back squats. Or bigger alternative do a better routine than NROL (gasp) that doesn't have front squats. Or one that does.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Yer joking, right? You have actually seen some of the women who've been doing New Rules, right?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Just watched this video and thought maybe it would help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl-aVaCPs0o
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    It's probably a mobility issue.
    Front squats suck for people who aren't flexible, very uncomfortable.

Look on mobilitywod.com for some mobility stuff for wrists and triceps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1PDhrU3h0
  • Ge0rgiana
    Thanks, guys. :happy: I will be pulling up these videos when I get away from work.
  • FullOfWin
    Yer joking, right? You have actually seen some of the women who've been doing New Rules, right?

No, I was quite serious
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Focus on putting your elbows forward and up, making a meaty shelf for the bar to sit on. Your fingers are only holding the bar in place; they're not supposed to support the weight.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Focus on putting your elbows forward and up, making a meaty shelf for the bar to sit on. Your fingers are only holding the bar in place; they're not supposed to support the weight.

That's actually a very good explanation. Thanks!!!
  • Ge0rgiana

No, I was quite serious

(Pssst! I ignore you now. :tongue: Did ya see what I did there?)
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member

that's a good explanation. try to avoid the crossed arms form. you can lift more and be more stable with your hands in contact with the bar.