Fasting

Options
Is fasting a good idea? I'm talking about for weightloss purposes, not religious. Are there any benefits by doing a day fast? I can remember when I was young my mom would do them occasionally and drink nothing but water for a whole day.

Any thoughts, or ideas about this?

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I can't say whether or not it will work. But I can say, why bother and make yourself uncomfortable when not fasting works really well? :wink:
  • evilras
    evilras Posts: 42
    Options
    Nope, none at all! to lose weight you have to EAT!!! convince your body that it is always getting food, so it no longer stores fat!

Eat a good 300-400 cal breakfast to start the day off and your metabolism will go into motion. dont eat anything, and it simply lays dormant!!

Try to eat all the calories you've been told to, and eat a snack in between. so you're eating every 3 hours., keep the body topped up so your exercise will burn fat!
  • Sherryishealthyandstrong
    Options
    A benefit of fasting is that it gives your over burdened liver a break from processing everything you eat. And it can help detox, but i think eating whole natural foods is the best way to lose weight!
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    not big on the idea of fasting but every now and then ill do nothing but eat fresh fruits and veggies with about 2 servings of nuts a day for 2-3 days usually once every few months
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I suggest checking out this site: www.fitnessthroughfasting.com Always do your reading before trying something new. I fast a few times a year... It works well for me :)
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    There's some info that suggests intermittent fasting as being beneficial for overall health and can be used as a tool for weight loss, though like all things it varies from person to person. Juice fasting has also been cited as a good tool for better overall health, as well.

There's an infinite number of differing and, indeed, conflicting philosophies when it comes to your health, diet, nutrition, and weight loss--some support fasting, some treat it almost as the antichrist. Do some research for yourself, decide if it's something that meshes with your lifestyle, and then give it a go if you think it might be for you. It surely won't kill you to try it out if you're curious, nor will it make your metabolism grind to a halt if you don't eat for a day.

Some links that might be useful:

Free eBook on Intermittent Fasting: http://www.theiflife.com/
    On juice fasting: http://www.healingdaily.com/juicing-for-health/fasting.htm
    Various blog posts on fasting from marksdailyapple.com: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/?s=fasting&x=0&y=0

Hope this helps!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've never thought fasting would work well for me to lose weight. I have fasted a few times for religious reasons.

That being said, some research I've done has me reconsidering. This is going to be vague and I'm sure a quick google search would give me the details, but I read an article about a year ago. That one of the most healthy societies on earth fasts at least once a week. Granted there are other factors in their diet. But it certainly won't hurt you as long as it's only for a day.
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No.