30 day shred

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't have pictures unfortunately, but I will tell you how many inches I lost!

Bicep: 0.5"
    Bust: 1.5"
    Under bust: 1"
    Natural waist: 1.5"
    Hips (upper): 1"
    Hips (lower): 1"
    Thighs: 1.5"

Weight lost: 5lbs

(I didn't lose any from my calves because I have naturally muscular calves with very little fat on them, so there wasn't anything to lose).

I really, really enjoyed the 30DS, so much so that I am actually doing it for a second time now. I am currently on Day 9 of Level 1 of my second time doing the shred!

I am going to hopefully get her other DVDs for Christmas! I can't wait!

Edit: You are NOT supposed to take days off, I don't know who told you that. You are supposed to do it every day for 30 days... hence the name. Level 1 for 10 days, level 2 for 10 days, level 3 for 10 days.

Jillian Michaels said it herself. Not taking days off will actually decrease the amount of fat you will burn. You will burn more fat if you allow your muscles to grow during the course of the program. (hint: your body burns calories during the muscle repair process)

Google "muscle repair" and "overtraining"
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'v been using it but going through the levels very slowly (20 days on each level instead of 10), I often do the first two levels one after the other. I do take the odd day off and haven't worked up the courage for level three since this is the first exercise dvd I'v ever done and I don't want to put myself off (baby steps!). However I'v had very good results! my physical fitness has increased by so much, I feel better and the calorie burn per level is approx 150 for level one and 180 for two. Obviously if you pushed yourself more I'm sure you could get even better results than this - so overall I definitely recommend it.
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I read about it her the last few weeks, I had honestly never heard of Jillian Michael's until this board. Anyway many people had talked about this and I thought about giving it a try not much beyond thinking about doing it. One day while walking through target there was on the end I thought okay that's that workout program everybody's been talking about. I thought I will look at it if it's less than $10 I will buy it was $9.97 into the car it went. I think that was on a Thursday I came home and tried it Thursday and Friday. I couldn't get through it I had to take a lot of small of breaks the push-ups were hard for me and still are and the butt kick cardio exercise are still hard for me as we'll. I took the weekend off and started again this past Monday today I did day five I took the least amount of breaks this time through I can do the butt kicks a little better and I feel a little bit less jiggly. I still find level one very challenging I'm probably a good 5 to 8 times before being able to do it straight through with no breaks. I need to get 5 pound weights as the 2 pound weights I'm using don't seem to be enough I plan to do this level probably through October If you want to sneak peek I believe most of the work out is on YouTube I know level one for sure is on YouTube. I have not done any before pictures which I still need to do I have a long way to go so I keep thinking I'll I'll get to those pictures tomorrow. LOL.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels said it herself. Not taking days off will actually decrease the amount of fat you will burn. You will burn more fat if you allow your muscles to grow during the course of the program. (hint: your body burns calories during the muscle repair process)

You know it's funny, I keep hearing people saying that Jillian Michaels herself said to take days off of the 30 Day Shred but I've yet to see one single source.

Also thank you for your advice but I've already done this workout once without taking breaks and it seemed to work fine for me.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and when I started level one my muscles killed for the first like 3 days, then got better and after a week were completely better and have been ever since - even when I moved up a level. I guess it was the shock of it, I'v never done anything like it before.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You know it's funny, I keep hearing people saying that Jillian Michaels herself said to take days off of the 30 Day Shred but I've yet to see one single source.

Also thank you for your advice but I've already done this workout once without taking breaks and it seemed to work fine for me.

I think it's funny that people jump into exercise programs without understanding how they will effect their bodies.

It is also interesting that some people have lost 16 inches on this program and took rest days. Others have lost just an inch or two by not taking them and trying to get others to put themselves at risk of injury that could set their fitness goals back for several weeks.
  • kachochan
    Options
    I'm doing it this month. Currently on my third week.
    And I'm in love with this program.
    It IS working.

When I'm bored, I do Body Revolution or 6 Weeks 6 Pack.

It's a lot of fun and it does improve your strength and endurance.

Let's do it! ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Oh, and here's your source. I'm not sure why I bothered to spend the 5 or 10 minutes it took since you do not care to look it up yourself, but here you go. :wink:

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/fitness-and-diet-tips/overtraining
    From LOSING IT! With Jillian Michaels
    Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pace Yourself
    Believe it or not, your muscles do not get stronger during your workout; it's after the workout that they grow and develop. Intense strength training places huge demands on your muscles. To adapt to those demands, your muscles need adequate recovery time to rebuild and get stronger. As important as it is to stay the course and not get lazy, it's just as important to know when to cut yourself a break so you don't burn out, and your body has a chance to process all of the work you're doing.

Do not train a muscle group more than twice a week, and make sure it rests between training sessions. I want you to have at least two days in between training the same muscle groups. When you work a muscle, the muscle fibers tear. Given the proper rest and discovery, your muscle fibers will repair themselves and grow leaner and stronger. But if you train the muscle too soon and impede its recovery, you can damage the muscle and break it down.

Additionally, you should never exercise intensely for more than two hours at a time. When you hear some buff celebrity talking about how he trained six hours straight a day to get ready for his latest action movie, he's talking a load of embellished bull that makes the ordinary person feel totally inferior. We have lives, we can't possibly do that! However, spending that much time working out is not only impossible, it would be counterproductive, as it would throw the body into a state of overtraining and make it more prone to metabolize its own lean muscle tissue for energy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!