So what now?

Options
Helloooooes!
I lost something around 60 pounds, which is awesome. I followed at first a really strict protein diet that helped me go from 195 to 155 in 14 weeks. That was in 2009. I lost 17 more pounds since then with a more or less clean diet. I wasn't exercising at all during this time... in fact, I start to get into workout in April of this year.

I'm at a point in my weight lost journey where I don't really do what to do... I want to get toned without getting all big and bulky and maybe loose a few more pounds of fat. I've read/heard so much contradictory informations about diet and workout and I find myself being confused about the way I should eat and what exercices to do. I'm at a big plateau right now, have been at the same weight since March... I need (your) help to do the right things and achieve my goals! :)

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It might be worth visiting with a certified personal trainer to discuss your goals moving forward. While those on MFP can offer support and advice (I'm sure I could offer you a plethora of options), this might be where you seek professional help.

Congrats on the weight loss and being able to maintain your weight since March is another great victory in and of itself.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like you are eating right based on your post, so I think the suggestion of seeing a certified trainer is a good one depending on what your goals are, which you don't clearly state. Do you want to lose more weight or get into great physical condition?
  • Sakye
    Sakye Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I saw 2 personnal trainers at my gym and they were just asking me what I wanted to do...
    I replied that I wanted to lose some pounds of FAT and get toned and they were like "Ok... how you wanna do that?"
    Me: Exercising and eating clean...?
    Them: What kind of exercices and diet?
    Me: I DON'T KNOW DUDE, YOU TELL ME, YOU'RE THE PRO! I'd do what needs to be done in order to achieve my goals.
    Them: Ok... well, just keep exercising and eating clean and you will achieve them.

Didn't really helped lol.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sound to me like you need to do some resistance training to achieve your goals. That means strength training, which could be weight lifting or body weight exercises, etc.

You would be amazed at how much 2-3 times per week (or more) of strength training can make a difference in your body. Other people will have different opinions and some on here really know their stuff so get lots of opinions!

Good luck!
  • Sakye
    Options
    For now I'm taking Bodypump classes 2 times a week plus a session of weight training + 15 mins of cardio at the end.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You don't need a PT to figure this out. There's plenty of information on the internet or you can go the home programs like I do. To tone up, you need weights. You won't get bulky. That's a myth. You need to lift some serious weight to look like a guy. Not to mention, you need to eat at surplus to gain that kind of muscles.
  • Sakye
    Options
    There is indeed a lot of informations, but since they really are contradictory I don't know which advice to follow.
    Diet, no diet, cheat days, no cheat days...
    Cardio, no cardio, high reps or not, 3-5-7 times a week... I find myself being really confuse about all of that.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Pick up Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts 5x5, something. Nice simple beginner programs. Follow the programs. Achieve physique you desire.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    girls cant get bulky.

I mean they can, but they are on a special diet lifting ridiculous amounts of weight on the regs - but - i mean... are you going to accidentally suddenly become that dedicated?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    buy the new rules of lifting for women.

its a fun raed actually - so dont skip ahead and just stare at the exercises and the diet stuff toward the back - thats mistake number 1

educate yourself by actually reading it and you wont find yourself coming back here over and over posting questions until youre so aggravated.

LEARN and you'll succeed.

PLAY DUMB and run into a routine half cocked and you'll either quit, injure yourself or at best case - not progress.
  • babssugar
    babssugar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Ive decided that i would like to lose at least two stones , but would like to tone up any suggestions on were i can begin im 53 years old ..thank you x
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ugh, zombie thread