Knee pain

Options
I have some knee pain in my left knee. Had an x-ray and no problems there. Doctor says its arthritis. It hurts after i do lunges, squats, stairs, running anywhere, elliptical etc. Just under the knee cap i think. obviously, i try not to do these things but i am training for a mud race so i sometimes have to do them to get my HR up to also train for endurance. i bike almost every day since this is one of the only things that will not really hurt it, but biking has become somewhat easy for me unless i do it for over an hour. Does anyone else have any ideas to get my HR up quickly without using my knees? i am just looking for some new ideas and also are there suppliments i should be taking when it gets closer to the race?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm having IT band problems with my knee right now so I've backed my running (also for a mud run) down to once per week. To replace them I either jump rope or do metabolic workouts. Have you tried either?
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    yes, i have been jumping rope a bit but that also seems to hurt it after a while. what do you mean by metabolic workouts? I try to not take breaks during my workout (i take about 10 seconds in between each set)-is that what you mean?
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    There are some good sports braces that can help knee arthritis pain. I wore one for years until I had an orthoglide implanted. You might want to consult a sports doctor, they seem better at this than a regular GP.
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    There are some good sports braces that can help knee arthritis pain. I wore one for years until I had an orthoglide implanted. You might want to consult a sports doctor, they seem better at this than a regular GP.

I was debating on getting a brace for the race but wasnt sure since it is under my kneecap if it would help. Thanks for the unput!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    The arc elliptical helps my knee, much less impact than any other machines. The bike aggitates my knees at times, if I use it too long or too many times in a week. I also do strength training....leg presses, leg curls....to help build the muscles around the knee.
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    The arc elliptical helps my knee, much less impact than any other machines. The bike aggitates my knees at times, if I use it too long or too many times in a week. I also do strength training....leg presses, leg curls....to help build the muscles around the knee.

yes, the strength training is definetly helping a lot. Its just not going away completely thats all.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    You could see if a patella band will help! I wear one when my knee starts aching while running, it has helped! :)
  • jkeeling39
    Options
    When I first started with my current running routine I too was having some knee and ankle soreness. Two things have really helped me.

1) Taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM Complex supplement. Available anywhere.
    2) Resistance training. I see that you have squats in your routine but you may want to consider doing some leg curls/extensions and hip flexor work. I started doing this about half-way through my current ramp up and I have had 0-barely noticeable pain. It helps strengthen all of your ligaments and such.

There are also many people (my mom included) who have really benefited from barefoot running. I've considered doing this but I don't want to stop my current progression to start over and work up my musculature that way. It takes time.
  • mensasu
    Options
    If it is really "just" kneecap then one of these might help http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704388504575419384129623388.html
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    You could see if a patella band will help! I wear one when my knee starts aching while running, it has helped! :)

what is that?
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Try a rowing machine - total body - no impact
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem for a while, left knee at first, then right, then they both hurt. Today not so bad, i cut back on running. Metabolic training is kind of like HIIT or circuit training. I do that rather then running, keeping my running to a minimum and if i do run, its in the grass. Walking I make sure to walk with perfect form, and Ice all the time.
  • raynavarro
    Options
    Xray does not id a torn miniscus. Tore it in BJJ and it just got worse over time. Finally broke down and went to the doc when my knee cap started locking out. Had x-rays - showed nothing. The Doc knew what it was in about 10 seconds of moving my leg, but had to have an MRI to confirm it. And then SURGERY!
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    When I first started with my current running routine I too was having some knee and ankle soreness. Two things have really helped me.

1) Taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM Complex supplement. Available anywhere.
    2) Resistance training. I see that you have squats in your routine but you may want to consider doing some leg curls/extensions and hip flexor work. I started doing this about half-way through my current ramp up and I have had 0-barely noticeable pain. It helps strengthen all of your ligaments and such.

There are also many people (my mom included) who have really benefited from barefoot running. I've considered doing this but I don't want to stop my current progression to start over and work up my musculature that way. It takes time.

I do a LOT of resistance training and it is helping. I do all the exercises you mentioned and it has made a great deal of difference. mostly worried about the race since running again irritates it. i may need to try glucosamine because ive heard a lot of good about it. I am just determined to do the mud race since it is so much fun. thanks for the info! I have also tried the barefoot thing but i have very sensitive feet so its not working well for me :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest punches and other arm movements. If you do some big, dynamic movements with your arms, you can get your heart rate up.
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    Try a rowing machine - total body - no impact

Yes it is one of the only machines we dont have at our gym. thanks though!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options

what is that?

Its a strap that rest right under your knee cap, it usually has a bump in it that presses lightly just below the knee cap on the tendon there! Its used for support but its so much more comfy than wearing a full knee brace! :)
  • mensasu
    Options

what is that?
    see my link http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704388504575419384129623388.html
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    Xray does not id a torn miniscus. Tore it in BJJ and it just got worse over time. Finally broke down and went to the doc when my knee cap started locking out. Had x-rays - showed nothing. The Doc knew what it was in about 10 seconds of moving my leg, but had to have an MRI to confirm it. And then SURGERY!

I am thinking that may be what it is so may need another opinion but wont get surgery on it until its unbearable since it doesn't hurt as bad during every day use. Just when i strain it a lot.
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    If it is really "just" kneecap then one of these might help http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704388504575419384129623388.html

thank you! i may look into this for the race instead of a bulky brace!