My net calories are under 1200?

Options
So I'm trying to lose about 20 pounds. I'm currently 145 at 5'3" and I'd love to be about 120 - 125.
The default amount of calories MFP has set for me is 1390. When I exercise, I burn about 400 calories (20 - 25 minutes of circuit training and about an hour of walking at 3.0 mph).

I've filled my food diary out for the day, and my calories are at 1488, but my NET calories are only at 1086. Is this bad? Should I try to eat more? I'm having a hard time reaching the 1500 I'm already at as it is!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I'm trying to lose about 20 pounds. I'm currently 145 at 5'3" and I'd love to be about 120 - 125.
    The default amount of calories MFP has set for me is 1390. When I exercise, I burn about 400 calories (20 - 25 minutes of circuit training and about an hour of walking at 3.0 mph).

I've filled my food diary out for the day, and my calories are at 1488, but my NET calories are only at 1086. Is this bad? Should I try to eat more? I'm having a hard time reaching the 1500 I'm already at as it is!

With only 20 lbs to lose, you should be setting yoru goal to 1/2 lb per week and should eat 50% of your exercise calories. More likely, you should be around 1700-1900 calories total. Too few calories and your body increases the chances of catabolizing your lean body mass (muscle, bone, tissue... everything that isn't fat) for energy. If you want a lean and tight body, you want to maintain your lbm. You can do stuff like eat nuts, avocado, cook meats in EVOO or spoonfuls of peanut butter. If you still struggle, look to get a high calorie protein drink for the rest of your calories... I prefer muscle milk.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

With only 20 lbs to lose, you should be setting yoru goal to 1/2 lb per week and should eat 50% of your exercise calories. More likely, you should be around 1700-1900 calories total. Too few calories and your body increases the chances of catabolizing your lean body mass (muscle, bone, tissue... everything that isn't fat) for energy. If you want a lean and tight body, you want to maintain your lbm. You can do stuff like eat nuts, avocado, cook meats in EVOO or spoonfuls of peanut butter. If you still struggle, look to get a high calorie protein drink for the rest of your calories... I prefer muscle milk.

Eh, are you sure it should only be 1/2 pound a week? :(
    I'll try to up my calories some more, by whatever means necessary. I can't get protein drinks or anything. Parents won't let me have that kind of stuff. Thanks for the advice :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Just try and get a 250-300 cal deficit than what you body needs total.
    Look at a different website for how many calories you really need. MPF isn't usually right.

if your net caloric needs with everything you do is 1700 cals, bump that down to 1450 or so (just using numbers)
    This however means, you need to be eating healthier than what you normally do. if you don't eat well, you're gonna feel pretty sluggish, especially if you don't get enough protein and vitamins.

This whole "eating back your work out calories" is way more complicated than it needs to be.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

Just try and get a 250-300 cal deficit than what you body needs total.
    Look at a different website for how many calories you really need. MPF isn't usually right.

if your net caloric needs with everything you do is 1700 cals, bump that down to 1450 or so (just using numbers)
    This however means, you need to be eating healthier than what you normally do. if you don't eat well, you're gonna feel pretty sluggish, especially if you don't get enough protein and vitamins.

This whole "eating back your work out calories" is way more complicated than it needs to be.

So try to eat 300 calories less than my BMR? Or less than my TDEE? Is it an issue to have my net calories under 1200?
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    So try to eat 300 calories less than my BMR? Or less than my TDEE? Is it an issue to have my net calories under 1200?

If you're only trying to lose 20lbs, eating under 1200 calories could cause problems for your metabolism. Sure, you may lose the weight, but then find yourself in a situation that if you eat at what used to be maintenance for you, you'll gain it back. Unless you're really short (like, under 5 feet), 20lbs should be lost very slowly. Hence the 0.5lbs/week goal.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I'll try to up my calories some more, by whatever means necessary. I can't get protein drinks or anything. Parents won't let me have that kind of stuff. Thanks for the advice :)

yes i am sure... Also, dont' worry about weight. It is completely meaningless and you are better off working your body composition. This means cutting fat and maintaining body fat. YOu do this with adequate protein and heavy weight training? Also, adjust your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets help maintain your current lean body mass. Below is a good link where a girl gained 7 lbs of muscle. This is why I said weight is meaningless. As the more muscle you have, the better you will look and the tighter your body will be. If you want, post your height, weight, age and workout routine and I can run your numbers to give you a better indication of total calories. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what is your parents objection to protein shakes? Some of quite healthy for you as they are full of vitamins, protein and healthy fats. It's also been proven that post workout protein (more specifically whey and casein) can help aid muscle repair.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat+vs
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds weird but check this out I'm 5'1" and started at 138. I eat 1300 on non workout days and more like 1700-1800 on good workout days. I'm losing about .7 pounds per week. That's about a pound every 10 days. When I tried 1200 with no exercise calories being eaten back (so 1200 net all the time) I didn't lose at all.

Here's my theory eat at least your BMR (or close to it 50 calories over or under isn't a big deal) on days you exercise eat back enough calories that you're not under your BMR (which is all of them) and increase the overall activity thso little walks form the back of the parking lot and extra flight of stiars instead of escalators andelevators really add up. Do that and you'll lose and then when you get to maintenance you won't be shocking yourself when you jump from 1200 to 1700 and it'll be easier to keep up.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I'm short enough, 5'3". So I'll do it 1/2 pound a week instead :)
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

yes i am sure... Also, dont' worry about weight. It is completely meaningless and you are better off working your body composition. This means cutting fat and maintaining body fat. YOu do this with adequate protein and heavy weight training? Also, adjust your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. High protein diets help maintain your current lean body mass. Below is a good link where a girl gained 7 lbs of muscle. This is why I said weight is meaningless. As the more muscle you have, the better you will look and the tighter your body will be. If you want, post your height, weight, age and workout routine and I can run your numbers to give you a better indication of total calories. BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what is your parents objection to protein shakes? Some of quite healthy for you as they are full of vitamins, protein and healthy fats. It's also been proven that post workout protein (more specifically whey and casein) can help aid muscle repair.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat+vs

Well, my weight is 145, I'm 5'3", I'm 18 and my work out is strength training for 35 minutes 3x a week followed by walking for 45 minutes, and then 2x a week I walk for about an hour and do 15 minutes of pilates.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    I know it sounds weird but check this out I'm 5'1" and started at 138. I eat 1300 on non workout days and more like 1700-1800 on good workout days. I'm losing about .7 pounds per week. That's about a pound every 10 days. When I tried 1200 with no exercise calories being eaten back (so 1200 net all the time) I didn't lose at all.

Here's my theory eat at least your BMR (or close to it 50 calories over or under isn't a big deal) on days you exercise eat back enough calories that you're not under your BMR (which is all of them) and increase the overall activity thso little walks form the back of the parking lot and extra flight of stiars instead of escalators andelevators really add up. Do that and you'll lose and then when you get to maintenance you won't be shocking yourself when you jump from 1200 to 1700 and it'll be easier to keep up.

So eat my BMR on days I exercise, or days I don't exercise?
  • kmmagik
    kmmagik Posts: 25
    Options
    Just try to eat some of your exercise calories. When I workout I may eat a little extra but not usually all of the exercise calories, maybe a banana or a 100 calorie bag of popcorn...it's a little more but not enough that it will hurt.

I was previously under the assumption that eating as little as possible was the best but then I wasn't losing bc my body was holding on to the 799 - 900 calories I gave it. I upped my calories to 1200 and even a hundred or so more when I workout and I am back to losing. No doubt you'll eventually lose if you starve yourself but it won't be good weight you are losing bc you'll be losing muscle. If you eat just a little more you'll do it the healthy way. I just recently read that low-fat chocolate milk is great for right after a workout...if you add something like that it's enjoyable and will help to promote muscle growth while giving you a little more calories.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Just try to eat some of your exercise calories. When I workout I may eat a little extra but not usually all of the exercise calories, maybe a banana or a 100 calorie bag of popcorn...it's a little more but not enough that it will hurt.

I was previously under the assumption that eating as little as possible was the best but then I wasn't losing bc my body was holding on to the 799 - 900 calories I gave it. I upped my calories to 1200 and even a hundred or so more when I workout and I am back to losing. No doubt you'll eventually lose if you starve yourself but it won't be good weight you are losing bc you'll be losing muscle. If you eat just a little more you'll do it the healthy way. I just recently read that low-fat chocolate milk is great for right after a workout...if you add something like that it's enjoyable and will help to promote muscle growth while giving you a little more calories.

Well I changed my goal to 1/2 pound a week instead of one pound. I finally managed to get my net calories a bit over 1200. So do you think I'm Ok? Any suggestions on how many I should eat? :3
  • kmmagik
    kmmagik Posts: 25
    Options
    Log your exercise so you know how many calories you burned. Try to eat half of them in addition to your 1200 calories and on a regular day without exercise try to keep it between 1100 - 1200. You'll do well there. I worked out today but felt sick when I came home or I would have eaten more. Plus I binged on Chinese last night so I can make up some for that as well.

Friend me if you like.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    bump
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well there are multiple approaches to do this.. my approach has you eating the same calories everyday or you can take the approach of just eating back exercise calories. I would generally have you eat 1800 calories based on your stats. This is total calories and not net. It is my firm belief that its important to feed your body on non workout days so your body can repair. It sounds like you have a good foundation. The only improvement would be changing some of the walking with HIIT. I would also suggest eating protein post workout to improve recovery. And with weight training, limit yourself to 6-10 reps... it will increase strength more than if you do 12-15.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    Well there are multiple approaches to do this.. my approach has you eating the same calories everyday or you can take the approach of just eating back exercise calories. I would generally have you eat 1800 calories based on your stats. This is total calories and not net. It is my firm belief that its important to feed your body on non workout days so your body can repair. It sounds like you have a good foundation. The only improvement would be changing some of the walking with HIIT. I would also suggest eating protein post workout to improve recovery. And with weight training, limit yourself to 6-10 reps... it will increase strength more than if you do 12-15.

I've tried 1800 for a month and didn't lose anything. Not even inches.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If thats the case back it down to 1600 or increase the intensity of your workouts.
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options
    If thats the case back it down to 1600 or increase the intensity of your workouts.

I can't really increase the intensity of my workouts as I have asthma and a knee condition making it hard to run or do anything too strenuous. I'll try 1600 calories and keep up with the weights 3x a week and walking for 45 minutes 5x a week. Sound good? :)
  • the_fat_monkey
    Options

By the way I appreciate the help! :')
  • psuLemon
    Options

By the way I appreciate the help! :')

Keep in mind that even the best formulas need to be altered. Also, if you want to increase intensity add 3 lb hand weights to your walks.