LOW CARB DIET HELP

Options
124»

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Please don't listen to people that say you should abandon the low carb diet. Every "dieter" struggles, and processed carbohydrates cause a host of problems for women. Once you reach your goal weight you can, and should, bring back the fruit and higher carb foods slowly, or else you'll never be able to maintain it. I'm sure you've heard it all before, but I am fairly angry about the modern industrial demands and corporate culture that have created a generation of women struggling with diabetes and weight-related issues. Your body is strong and resilient, it has the capacity to make another human being, and then to independently create food to sustain that child's life. And they've managed to concoct food substitutes that interfere with this powerful process.

If you really get a craving for chips, etc (my weakness), there are soy based substitutes that taste pretty good. It still doesn't compare to the natural protein and carbs you get from lean protein and vegetables. I love to make salads with the rotisserie chicken they sell at Costco, baby cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and then a slightly indulgent dressing. You can squeeze a little tangerine juice on it to get that sweet taste with minimal carbs. I like Nitrate free, uncured turkey bacon, laughing cow cheese, and salmon sashimi. I also buy Naked Nectar Juices and water them down by 90% - they still taste pretty sweet. Stir-fry made at home is low carb and filling (even though it's hard to not want the rice!). Polenta is fairly low in carbs and w/ some sauce is my pizza snack substitute. I always use baby veggies, they's just more tender and flavorful, and use as much fresh herb as possible. I just buy one of those $3 basil plants and keep it outside, cilantro on hand at all times and fresh thyme.

When it gets really hard, remind yourself that any diet that allows you a nice lean steak or pork chop isn't the worst thing in the world.

Good luck!

^^^^ This ^^^^
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hhere's a recipe for "oopsie rolls" that I like as a bread substitute when I feel the need to toast and butter something. :laugh:

I make these in a muffin-top pan to get them nice and round.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/cleochatras-amazing-low-carb-oopsie-rolls-recipe-is-to-die-for/2292
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    I did the low carb thing off and on for awhile - it was too hard to stick with.

The major red flag here - as many have said - is that you are having trouble with it right off the bat.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you here. If someone has been eating a high-carb, low-fat diet for years, their body needs time to adjust to a reduced-carb diet. It may take several weeks, and some experimenting with the amount and type of carbs. It also requires changing old habits, and that can be even harder. I think that may be where the OP is. She knows what to avoid, but needs help on what to add and how to prepare it. Several people have provided good sources for recipes and ideas for snacks.

NO DIET should EVER be a temporary mindset.

<snip>

All this said, there IS truth to refined carbs spiking blood sugar and triggering cravings. So if you focus on eating mostly unprocessed foods, lots of fruit and veggies, Protein and healthy fats, you find that you aren't hungry, you FEEL better, have more energy, and CAN do that in most cases for the rest of your life. Additionally, when you eat like that, and you are focusing more on calories in/vs out, then you can allow yourself high calorie days - or treat days once a week, which makes it not feel like a diet. It makes it livable.

Totally agree with you.
    Thanks