Dining out

Options
How do you figure out your calories when you are dining out at a non chain restaurants and they do not have calorie information available online?

Replies

• Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I usually try to find something as close as possible, maybe with a higher than my own guess calorie count so that I can try to make sure everything is accounted for.

Eg. I had a vegetable fajita at a local mexican restaurant a few nights ago, logged it as a chipotle vegetable burrito.

We kind of just have to work with what we've got /:
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    That is kind of what I figured. Just wanted to double check.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Just went through that tonight with Chinese. Had stir fried vegetables with about a half cup of rice, and, maybe, a half cup of my son's pan fried noodles. Even asked if they could do the vegetables low fat. (sort of hoping they actually did make it low fat) I eyeballed the whole thing and logged something from MFP that added up to 700 calories.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I thought (in the US) that restaurants had to be able to supply the nutrition information upon request. I could be wrong.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I try to find something as close to possible... or create my own recipe that has the same basic ingredients.
  • redneckcaseysgirl88
    Options
    I always find something similar and add more calories,instead of saying I eat one serving I will put I eat 1.4 servings. That way it keeps me from going way over for the day and keeps it in a range that might be close to what I actually ate.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I relate it to a familiar fast food place, since I figure it'd be about the same!

For example, I went to an Italian eatery that's not a chain, but ordered a large slice of pizza.

So I looked up "NY Style Pizza" or a place like Sbarro's, that serves similar large slices of pizza.
  • apachetear1710
    Options
    I'm going out for my first meal tonight since i started my weightloss campain - I looked through the database to see if anything came up for Prezzo's and based my choices on that although am rather curious as to why the meal I fancy is classed as light when it has 722 cals but been rather good so far today with crunchy bran and milk for breakfast then a smoothie for lunch although I think I may have to have something as feeling a bit hungry at the moment!!

I did commit the immortal sin of jumping on the scales today (my weigh day is usually Monday) and saw a loss so not going to stress about tonight and just enjoy it!! :smile: