Stuck on lifting sads

Options
I love lifting, it is what I do for exercise. I have been doing it on and off for over a decade. I went off for a while but have been back into it for about 2 years now or so. Unfortunatly, I've gotten into a huge rut and I think it is playing a big part in not wanting to go to the gym anymore.

I am just stuck. I cannot improve, and I'm not very strong, so that makes it more depressing. I did a couple months of 5x5, and am on week 7 of 5/3/1 as I heard they were good for strength gains and I have not improved at all. In fact, a lot of days, I'm going backwards! I've grown to despise the 531 ap because I can see its calculated 1rm decrease after the workout :( I've broken up the programs a couple times with a few widowmakers or something just to see, nada.

I like to pretend I'm calorie cutting, but I'm not really, and that has really only been since Sept anyways. I was gaining (unintentionally) before that.

I don't even want to work out anymore because I know I'll suck. So, what to do?

Should I just take a long break? Maybe give some cardio like Insanity a go or something? Or any different program suggestions? Just sit in my room and cry with a gallon of ice cream?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting properly the other things that usually stop progress are not eating and\or resting enough.
  • jonnionthespot
    Options
    number one, insanity is not just cardio vs. weight lifting, its interval training with resistance, so more like two for one workout. Excellent suggestion by the way, since the principal is to maximize caloric burn per minute while toning large and small muscle groups and cardiovascular training which benefits fat loss and heart toning. Secondarily, when you don't see muscle strengthening take place after working out, you may be experiencing over-training, in which the muscles remain hyper-tense, therefore losing approximately 15% of their ability. Go be kind, get some therapeutic massage, look for a therapist specializing in structural integrity, take a week break and challenge yourself to the insanity.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What are your actual goals? Your post is vague and confusing. If you're cutting calories like you're saying, your lifts are going to suffer. There's no way around it. You can gain strength on a calorie deficit but only to a certain point, eventually you'll top out and will need to eat in a surplus to break through. But if you're trying to lose weight as a primary goal, lifting on a plateau will at least help ensure that you don't lose lean body mass as you cut the fat. But your gains will be very slow or non-existent. It's just the way it is.

A week off or at least a deload week is definitely helpful and is generally considered a necessity every 8-12 weeks at LEAST. I believe they're even built into the 5/3/1 program itself.

Furthermore, diet can be a big factor in strength training but you don't have your diary open.

PS - Ice cream might give you the energy to lift more so I can't discount that either :P
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty and sleep plenty. I've done deloads, week 5 of 531 is a deload week and taken a week off before here and there. I'm sure it is all just mental, since it has been sooooo long. I think I suck, therefore I will suck.

I really just pulled the Insanity suggestion out of my *kitten* as a random suggestion. I have the videos, and as much as I tried, I despise running and it is getting cold out anyways. That is pretty much it.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to afford a massage, I've never had one, and that trend will continue. :sad:

I guess all I'm asking is if an extended break would do me good, or if there are any other programs that are better suited. I'm just bored and rambly and added in a bunch of other stuff around the question.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    2100 cals would make me lose weight like a muther
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    spend some time getting good at high intensity cardio to alternate with your lifting.

whats the worst that could happen?

a change?

:drinker: