Frustrated & trying not to quit!

Options
I have been (back) on MFP for 45 days. In the beginning, I went by what MFP set for me which was 1200 calories a day. Then I read the In Place of a Roadmap thread (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12) and upped my calories to 1400 but I think that may still be too low.

My Katch-McArdle BMR is 1401. I am currently doing the C25K program and am on week 3. I used Sedentary (1687) minus 20% would be 1349 which is why I used 1400 (didn't want to go below my BMR). Because I used Sedentary, I have been eating back my exercise calories. That apparently isn't working since I have only lost 4lbs so far. I am thinking maybe I should try Lightly Active (1933) minus 20% would be 1546 and NOT eat back my exercise calories? I am just so afraid of upping my calories again, since it didn't work the last time.

I am just so confused and frustrated. I hear about people losing a couple pounds a week and I'm so jealous! I have just over 30 lbs to lose to get to my goal and it seems like it will take forever to get there. I know I need to be patient but that is one trait I lack. lol

Thanks for listening!!

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    One a pound a week when you only have 30 to go is very healthy and respectable. 2 lbs a week is mostly enjoyed by the very obese and only until they get down a ways. You are way more likely to keep it off at a pound a week. Keep your chin up and keep on trucking, it will go, just be patient with your body and yourself.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight by eating 200-300 calories under my TDEE and exercising 3-4 days a week (not logging calories burned). I've maintained for a year.

There are a bunch of calculators to work it out; this one was pointed out to me here:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ (accounts for your goals)
  • xenah
    xenah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check your food first. If you are taking in allot of carbs ie: Bread, cereals then this could be stopping you from dropping weight. it could be causing your body to hang on to the weight. Suggestion:: Review your food from the last few weeks. Look for a pattern and see if you are higher in one food category than others.

In my experience with running (ran 4 half marathons) my weight did not change much however the shape of my body really changed.

Another suggestion would be to measure yourself. I have been doing that lately and I see results from measurements too.

HTH!
    Michelle
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I, too, am frustrated at the moment. Actually for the past month. After an initial weight loss of 50 lbs, I'm stuck! The difference is that I'm NOT going to quit and I'm not even thinking about quiting. Not happy with slow weight loss, or even no weight loss, is something we just have to live through. The alternative is quiting and that means gaining back what we've lost so far or never giving ourselves a chance to lose more. Don't quit! You'll always wonder what could have been.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Well, one thing is for sure - quitting won't get you to your goals.

It won't get me there, either. I've been trying so hard with my food and my exercise, staying away from the scales, telling myself that there is NO WAY that it's not working. Then I put on one of my smaller pair of jeans this morning, and they're as tight as they were the last time I put them on, which was about two weeks ago. Something needs to be tweaked, that much is obvious.

Or we could just give up and buy bigger clothes. That would suck.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but a pound a week is great. If you are losing more than that, you are either starving, have a lot of fat on you, or you are doing HIIT such as Insanity or similar programs.

You should be happy with 1 lb. per week though.
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Oh, I know I *should* be happy with that but it just gets discouraging when I get on the scale and it hasn't moved! lol
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Oh, I know I *should* be happy with that but it just gets discouraging when I get on the scale and it hasn't moved! lol

Are you tracking your BF%? And are you tracking your measurements?
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing a problem. You're progressing in the right direction, so why change anything? You've neither plateaued nor are you gaining.
    And the scale is a beeyatch. Take photos and measurements alongside.
  • Chrissiecurit
    Options
    Yes to both, I use calipers for the body fat (first measurement was about 3 weeks ago and hasn't changed). I'm not sure how often I should re-check body fat but I would assume it takes longer for that to show a difference? I just bought a tape and took measurements last weekend so I plan on taking them again tomorrow although I don't expect to see a difference. Or should I?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You want to quit because you are only losing a pound a week? Did I read that right? I would be THRILLED to lose a pound a week. It took me 3 weeks to lose a pound and a half. (1/2 pound per week) But I'm losing, so damn it, I'll keep kicking.

It is frustrating. I'll give you that, but you didn't put it on overnight and losing is harder than gaining, so you won't take it off overnight either.

Hang in there, keep doing what you are doing. Apparently, it's working.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've heard the slower you lose it, the easier it is to keep off. Patience is key! You can do this!
  • jlapey
    Options
    You want to quit because you are only losing a pound a week? I would be thrilled to lose a pound a week. My current rate is a half pound a week, but I'm losing so I'll keep kicking.

Whatever you are doing IS working, keep at it. It is frustrating, but the only way to fail is to not try at all. You got this!
  • Chrissiecurit
    Options
    You want to quit because you are only losing a pound a week? Did I read that right?

Not really. lol I've lost 4 lbs. in 45 days. Which is more like a pound every week and a half. I understand I should be happy I have lost something. I'm just saying it gets frustrating when it feels like I have been working so hard and it doesn't feel like it is working.

Part of the reason I posted was also to get opinions on my calorie intake. I'm not sure if using Sedentary & eating back exercise calories is the right way to go or to use Lightly Active & not eat back the calories.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far! :smile:
  • jlapey
    Options
    You want to quit because you are only losing a pound a week? Did I read that right?

Not really. lol I've lost 4 lbs. in 45 days. Which is more like a pound every week and a half. I understand I should be happy I have lost something. I'm just saying it gets frustrating when it feels like I have been working so hard and it doesn't feel like it is working.

Part of the reason I posted was also to get opinions on my calorie intake. I'm not sure if using Sedentary & eating back exercise calories is the right way to go or to use Lightly Active & not eat back the calories.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far! :smile:

I get it. My partner took my scale and tape measure away for two weeks. When I finally got it back, I expected much better results than I got because I had been so good with diet and exercise. I was literally sobbing from the disappointment of only losing a half a pound and NO inches. I went out and did some gardening (lots of sweating) weighed again and had lost another pound. Water weight, I guess. Still, this was the first change in about 3 weeks. I was truly expecting MORE.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Are you adding the exercise calories in twice? Assuming you made your calorie goal higher because you added in the extra exercise. Also MFP adds in more calories then it should for exercise so if you do want to eat them back I suggest eating back only half. I am doing C25K as well but I would suggest doing exercise 5 times a week. Try going for a walk for riding bike or whatever the other days. Or you can do a exercise video if you dont want to walk/run everyday. :)
    Also maybe add in some weights or calistetics.
  • KAHEJO
    KAHEJO Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chrissie,
    Hello, it is very possible you’re looking at this way to scientifically, you posted allot of digits & calculations there in your post.
    Weight loss isn’t easy, but it does not have to be complicated either, just eat small portions a low to no cholesterol foods every few hours of the day 4 or 5 times a day,
    Alternate 20-25 minutes of cardio and some strength training every day. Take a day off once a week.
    Also research the (HIIT) high intensity interval training program when doing a cardio workout, and get a workout timer. stick with it, don’t play mind games with your own mind, keep strong Chrisse, you'll be fine.