Better bread but lower calories

Options
mfaine
mfaine Posts: 84 Member
I like to eat bread with meals and I like the occasional sandwhich. However, I've also been trying to switch to a vegan diet and also to organic, non-gmo foods as well as to foods that are just generally healthier, made from whole, natural ingredients with little to no preservatives. The bread I was eating Healthy Life 35 calorie wheat bread" isn't terrible for what it is, but it doesn't meets my new dietary requirements. I like Ezekiel Sprouted Original but the calorie content is way too high. I find I too often just go without bread to save the calories. I'm looking for something like Ezekiel but much lower in calories. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I like to eat bread with meals and I like the occasional sandwhich. However, I've also been trying to switch to a vegan diet and also to organic, non-gmo foods as well as to foods that are just generally healthier, made from whole, natural ingredients with little to no preservatives. The bread I was eating Healthy Life 35 calorie wheat bread" isn't terrible for what it is, but it doesn't meets my new dietary requirements. I like Ezekiel Sprouted Original but the calorie content is way too high. I find I too often just go without bread to save the calories. I'm looking for something like Ezekiel but much lower in calories. Any suggestions?

Cardboard tastes about the same and much lower cals

If you like to eat bread, get good freshly baked bread
  • TimeWarp9
    Options
    Have you considered making your own? Bread machines are easy to work, results can be fantastic, and you can experiment with different grains, etc...
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Dave's Killer 21 grain. It's organic and110 calories per slice. They have 21 grain light too which is 65 calories per slice.
  • emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There are just some things that cannot be compromised ;)
  • walk9948
    Options
    Sara Lee 45 calorie wheat, honey wheat, and multi grain are really good.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I make my own sourdough every week. It's easy, takes very little hands-on time, and tastes better than anything in the store. The only ingredients are flour, water, yeast, and a little salt and sugar. 60 calories per ounce.

Recipe link:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/rustic-sourdough-bread-recipe
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Just go with 100% whole wheat...
    To check only the calories won't matter....It's all the rest too.
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say stick with the Ezekiel bread! It's such a great choice, and worth the few calories. I usually just go with one slice, though.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I also like the Dave's Killer Bread. The 65 calorie version is exactly like the 110 one, only cut thinner. This way you can enjoy the bread (and really it's what's in between the bread that makes a great sandwhich, IMO).
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I have eliminated bread from my everyday diet. I do not get full enough from it, and to me, it is empty calories, mostly.
    I have been microwaveless, also, since June, and I couldn't be happier! There are no leftovers, so whatever I eat I have to make.
    As far as a vegan diet.....not my area. I usually eat over 100g protein per day, so I could not give up that. No way, Jose! lol

I have heard of people substituting tortillas for bread, though?
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    how about the whole grain arnold sandwich thins? 50cal /slice, 100 cal for the whole thing.