My diary is open...can you shed some light?

Options
I started actively tracking my meals on 9/11/12. Although I have lost 11 pounds, I'm not sure if I'm doing it all properly as I've been reading that 1200 is too low. I'm 4'11 inches and ROUND (lol).

I also need suggestions on healthy, low calorie meals, especially ones that I can eat at work (FYI...I don't eat condiments...or broccoli...lol).

This is all new to me so any feedback/insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    11 pounds in a month is fantastic progress. I wouldn't change anything at all.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? Because for most people 1200 calories is not enough. Eventually, you will have to eat more.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? Because for most people 1200 calories is not enough. Eventually, you will have to eat more.

Not true. 1200 cals is enough for many people. Especially possible for someone as short as the OP.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Not true. 1200 cals is enough for many people. Especially possible for someone as short as the OP.

I didn't see her height. But even still... don't think its enough in general. People should be creating calorie deficits based on their personal TDEE, not a generic prescribed number that is considered the basic minimum to avoid starvation.

*edit - Okay. So I do see her height in the original post. Doesn't change my recommendation. Eventually, she will need to change gears and look at her actual TDEE.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    So it looks like you are doing awesome getting protein in! That's great. What you might want to do is try to add more veggies in. Pretty much any fresh vegetable tastes good roasted in the oven with a bit of olive oil (or even the no calorie spray stuff).

At your height, you might be fine at 1200 - you are outside of the "average" that the 1200 calorie limit is aimed for. That being said, if you are hungry, I'd up your calories by 50-100 for a 6 week stint to see if that helps.

So far, you are on the right track!

As for lunches at the office - I make large batches of soups and other foods in my crock pot and portion them immediately into tupperware that I stick in my freezer - making lunch as easy as pulling food from my freezer, heating and eating.

ETA: search the recipes section for other easy meals in the crock pot. Also, there is a website (maybe just a blog, or just a collection of recipes) about cooking once a month for food for the month. Maybe something to look into (depending on your freezer space).
    One of my favorites is spinach and chickpeas in the crock pot.

Spinach and chickpeas (done in the crock pot). 5 servings at a little less than 300 calories (with the cheese)
    1 bag dried chickpeas (1 lb)
    3 or so cups of frozen spinach
    1 cup chopped onion
    Spices to taste (I use salt and pepper as well as garlic seasoning)
    2-1/2 cups chicken broth

Dump in the crock pot and set to low for 8-12 hours (until the chickpeas are soft or until you get home.
    Top with parmesan cheese.

I also make extra of my dinner and pack it up for lunch the next day even before I sit down for dinner - then I can't overeat my dinner and lunch is all ready to go!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Just a note on the Diary, add a column for Saturated Fat! Keep this below 20-25g for the day! This is a key fat loss part.
  • MissPreciosa
    MissPreciosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    WOW...Thank you all for the feedback. It's encouraging to have great support. My goal for now is to lose 50 pounds, while I'll still be considered obese...I know I'll be much happier at that weight. I will continue to stay on the 1200 calorie goal for another 12 weeks and see how I progress. The recipes and saturated fat ideas are great suggestions and will be sure to incorporate them.

Thanks again:happy:
  • MissPreciosa
    Options
    i meant another 4 weeks (sorry, it's Monday...LOL)
  • couponaddic
    Options
    I would say 1200 cal/day should be good. I would def try the whole adding more veggies thing. I find if I eat more veggies and drink 1/2 my weight in water I seem to loose more. Good luck!

Amanda
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Just a note on the Diary, add a column for Saturated Fat! Keep this below 20-25g for the day! This is a key fat loss part.

No, wrong.

Saturated fat from HEALTHY sources, is INCREASING my fat loss and making me healthy at the same time. I'm never craving, binging. To have so many health problems vanish in such a short time; I have to say the low fat/saturated fat is bad nonsense is just wrong. (And there is research to support that our current low fat suggestions are wrong and increasing the obesity epidemic. Do some research, check out lots of sources.)
  • MissPreciosa
    Options
    Yes...definitely open to including more veggies in my diet and increasing my water intake. Thanks.
    As far as the saturated fat...I have no idea if its helping or not. I never tracked it or monitored it, but it doesn't hurt to watch it...so I added it to my foods, we will see how it goes. You guys have been great!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

No, wrong.

Saturated fat from HEALTHY sources, is INCREASING my fat loss and making me healthy at the same time. I'm never craving, binging. To have so many health problems vanish in such a short time; I have to say the low fat/saturated fat is bad nonsense is just wrong. (And there is research to support that our current low fat suggestions are wrong and increasing the obesity epidemic. Do some research, check out lots of sources.)

I have to say, I completely disagree. I've had great results so far by cutting my saturated from from full fat milk and cheese and fatty cuts of meat. Just like you, I've hardly crave anything or binge at all. Just to be clear, I never said anything about low fat, I said low saturated fat. My diet is 25% fats, full of healthy, essential fats all day.

Also, there is a lot of research that shows that cutting saturated fat iand eating more omega 3, 6, and 9 fats is better for the human body.

I think we can agree, to disagree here. :)