What am I going to do? Can you help?

Options
I am a traveling sales dude. When I am in town I live on lean cuisines and skinnytaste. All of next week I am meeting with clients for breakfast, lunch and dinner, we will be eating out at Hotels and various restaurants throughout this time. No time for the gym and I highly doubt I will be able to find out how many cals each meal has.

Is there something safe I can eat or something I should avoid?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you order salads. All the toppings on them really add up. Ask for dressing on the side, take off the crustons, bacon, cheese, etc. What I do a lot when I eat out is ask for a take out box rigth away and put half of my meal in there because of the huge portions they give you so I don't over eat. Obviously, stay away from fried foods. I generally just don't eat red meat when I eat out. If you do though, pay attention to how it is cooked. But, I think you should opt for fish or lean meats like chicken/turkey, etc. Switch out potatoes as a side with green veggies, etc.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    eggs (poached for breakfast), turkey sandwiches (no mayo) lunch, chicken or a nice steak for dinner. grilled shrimp with salad (vinegar and olive oil for dressing), fruit platter for breakfast plus egg white omelet with veggies, grilled chicken breast, grilled veggies, roasted veggies, vegetarian platter/burger/pasta. okay that's all i have. good luck.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I travel for a living and know what you face.
    For the most part, have omlettes or eggs and toast for breakfast and avoid the breakfast potatoes or pancakes. Try fruit as well with yogurt if it is buffet.
    For lunch and dinner I look for the fish and chicken dinners where they are not breaded or fried. I normally ask for double vegetables instead of fries or potatoes. Watch for some of the sandwiches and pastas in restaurants as they are loaded with calories.
    Take a water bottloe with you or a bottle of water from your hotel room. Keep drinking water.
    Hope this helps.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    BE CAREFUL with dressings made at the hotels!!! trust me, they might seem like a healthy choice, but they rarely are. control your own dressings :) have fun!
  • ferrahcn
    Options
    If you have a phone that has internet - then you can usually type in the restaurant (if it is a common one) (google nutritional value of food) and you should come up with a site u and go to that has all that info.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If you have done this job for a while you most likely have an idea what resturants you may be eating at so I would suggest look them up in advance to see what you would want to eat. It helps if you know where you gonna eat to make good choices.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot as well. Here's what I do.

I go to the grocery store when I get to whatever town I'm in and do a little shopping: a big jug of water, yogurt, fruit, cheese, and snacks for the evenings when I'm feeling particularly munchie. I store most in the mini fridge in the room.

Then, before I go, I google restaurants in the area, and check their nutrition information, and make a list of things from each place that I can have that aren't too crazy calorie-wise.

Even if it isn't the same restaurant/food, check what's comparable. Drink water, and don't stress!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I travel for a living and know what you face.
    For the most part, have omlettes or eggs and toast for breakfast and avoid the breakfast potatoes or pancakes. Try fruit as well with yogurt if it is buffet.
    For lunch and dinner I look for the fish and chicken dinners where they are not breaded or fried. I normally ask for double vegetables instead of fries or potatoes. Watch for some of the sandwiches and pastas in restaurants as they are loaded with calories.
    Take a water bottloe with you or a bottle of water from your hotel room. Keep drinking water.
    Hope this helps.

This works!! I traveled for a living for over 3 years - gone Monday through Friday every week. It is very hard to eat healthy out on the road but no impossible. I tried to keep to a healthy low carb diet as much as possible. Oatmeal, eggs and fruit for breakfast, salad or sandwich for lunch and usually fish or chicken with veggies for dinner. Most restaurants will accomodate special requests. Find a grocery store where you are and stock up on healthy snacks for the week.
  • Hellguy76137
    Hellguy76137 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OK, I am a vegetarian and hope I do not get kicked out of the union for this but here goes:

IF you have to eat meats(which I do NOT encourage) then look for leaner cuts, ask for light portions, or even look at kid portions. Often times the amount of food a restaurant will serve a kid is close to allowable for a normal, healthy adult. Fish over beef or chicken because it is lower in calories and contains more protein per calorie so it will satisfy you longer. Hey, if you want to go hardcore you could always go vegetarian or vegan. You'll feel better and save calories at the same time. Most restaurants have something for a vegetarian/vegan diet.

Drink water, not soda or tea.

Choose omelets filled with veggies (more food, fewer calories), fruit and small amounts of whole grain breads.

Avoid oils and fats as best as possible. One fat gram has 9 calories so fewer fats means fewer calories.

Now, as for exercise. go to a sporting goods store and buy some resistance bands. Most cheap sets cost about $20 and will travel well and give you a good cardio workout. I still use them as part of my routine so I can change it up. Doing sets of an exercise for 1-2 minutes per set will get the heart rate up, give you that burn and help to encourage muscle cell growth. You can get a total body workout in under 30 minutes and feel the muscle aches for a few days after.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I used to travel a lot for work too. You can have baked fish, steamed vegetables, salads without dressing but be careful, some places add lots of nuts and dried cranberries and it becomes a huge mess! At the buffet, go for vegetables, the salad bar, the lentil soups, the baked fish platters. Sushi rolls are good too. With a menu, you'll find that most restaurants have a healthy or diet (as they call it) or low calorie section now. Pasta with tomato sauce is a good option if everything else seems rich. Avoid white sauces and the bread and butter basket too. Have fun!
  • red1775
    red1775 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am on the road for 21 days or more a month and always am able to find something that works for me. I usually look at online menu's and check the counts here for what I like.

Or I work out like crazy to cover the over indulgence.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I remember something else too. If you are attending a mixer at night you can get a sparkling water. For some reasons, people find it fancy enough to accept it in social situation. I also fooled the crowd once at a conference mixer by taking a small plastic cup and filling it with tap water. They thought I had vodka while I still had my full brain to secure some deals ;)
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Don't feel limited to choosing from the menu. It took me years to discover that if I asked for half a grapefruit, a soft poached egg and one slice of multi grain toast they would provide it.