How do you cook Quinoa?

Options
I've never made it before... what sorts of things do you like to eat it with? & how long does it usually take?

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    it seems to me you can do anything with Quinoa you can do with rice. It's good cooked with broth (veggie or chicken) instead of water and then toss in some diced veggies (peppers, carrots, onions, celery whatever) but if anything calls for equal part liquid and rice you acn probably sub in quinoa. I think I need to try more of this theory but reading the directions that sounds true and it's very plain on its own.

I like it with baked fish or chicken.....really anything that's good with rice it's good with Quinoa. Takes the same as rice (not isntant...so about 15-20 minutes).
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is THE easiest whole grain to cook and so good for you, as it is gluten-free and has a good bit of protein in it. Technically it's not a grain at all but more of a seed, hence its protein content without so much fat. What I do is rinse a half-cup of dry quinoa in a fine strainer(gets the bitter taste out)and then put it in a saucepan and toast it for a few minutes before adding 1 cup of water and stirring, bringing to a boil. Generally speaking 1 part of quinoa to 2 parts of water, for whatever amount one is making, so keep that in mind for larger amounts for more people. After the water is boiling, then turn it down to low to simmer with the lid on the pan, just ajar enough to let steam out. After about 17 minutes of this, the water should be gone and one left with the cooked quinoa. Turn off the burner. At this point, fluff the quinoa up with a fork and let it steam for 10 minutes with the lid fully on the sauce pan. Then you'll have a couple of cups of quinoa that you can enjoy like any other grain. You'll be surprised at how filling even a half-cup of this is, with other stuff, which is usually what I do. I use mine in half-cup increments, so I have some on hand for 3 days or so. One can use it like bulgur wheat and make tabbouleh out of it, use it as a side side for one's protein and veggies, or if one is vegan, just add some nuts and chopped veggies, or the nut and chopped fruit combo. A favorite way I have is heating up a half-cup of the quinoa, and adding a couple of scrambled eggs, a tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese, a quarter-cup or so of roasted peppers(not oil-packed - home roasted) and a bit of hot sauce for a breakfast(or any meal for that matter)bowl. High in protein, and reasonable in calories - very filling too!
  • yeshualovesme
    yeshualovesme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa! I make it with broth, let it cool and add a little olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, olives, celery, feta - yum! OR my favorite for a hearty breakfast: http://www.marthastewart.com/329047/quinoa-cakes - pancakes! Yum!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything. Still tastes like sawdust.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Quinoa <3

1/2 dry quinoa in a saucepan toast on medium heat until aromatic and have that "toasted" color.
    Add 1c water, chicken broth/stock, whatever.
    Allow to simmer until moisture has evaporated.

In a separate pan combine your favorite vegetables (green peppers, tomato, onion, mushroom, asparagus...) with 2 tbsp oilve oil and 2cloves garlic and allow to cook until soft. Add 1 tbsp basil, 1 tsp paprika, 2 tsp coriander, 1tbsp cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in quinoa. Delicious.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2012/08/parmesan-quinoa-bites.html

http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/145945-so-fudgy-it-s-hard-to-believe-they-re-quinoa

I have not tried these recipes yet but I plan to. I just heard about quinoa and last night cooked some in chicken broth and made a pork soup with it. Really easy and very filling.
  • summerfool
    summerfool Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meggolego
    Options
    I love quinoa! I usually cook it in a bigger batch in the beginning of the week.
    Some things I like with quinoa:
    -Salads
    -Tacos
    -Stir Fries

I just love it on salads, so easy.
  • WittneeT29
    WittneeT29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is delicious! Tonight I made tabbouli using this recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/tabbouli-tabouli-tabbouleh-salad-parsley-salad-197922

Instead of the bulgur, though, I used quinoa. It was delicious!

Make sure it is cooked long enough and soaks up all the water to become soft and really "fluff".
  • AliciaAnne1984
    Options
    I'm obsessed with Quinoa. One of the most versatile foods available. I have posted this a couple of times but like Quinoa Corporation on Facebook for some great ideas.

My all time favourite Quinoa recipe is Honey Coconut Quinoa with Pomegranite... http://edenkitchen.com/honey-coconut-quinoa-with-pomegranate/

Also love it as a rice substitute (gluten free).
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just bought some today loving all the suggestions. Also search here in the forums I found lots of ideas also on recipe websites like all recipes.com or spark.com
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to find this thread. I bought some but then read about toasting it first and never got around to cooking it because I thought it would be too much trouble. Thanks for the tips!
  • AroraSumita
    Options
    bump
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Cook it like you cook white rice, same water ratio. Use it as a substitute for rice. A lot better for you than rice.
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Some people cook it like pasta and drain but I prefer to make it like rice and I also prefer to use chicken broth as the liquid
  • sabre19
    Options
    It is easy to cook. 1/2 cup dry Quinoa equals 2 cups.
    Rinse Quinoa first in cold water.

The ratio is 2:1

So 1 cup Quinoa to 2 cups of water.

I add a little chicken stock into the water just to add some flavour.

Cover and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil, turn the heat down to a simmer, and set the lid just ajar, to prevent boiling over. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. The quinoa goes a bit transparent when it’s cooked, except for a little spiral sprout.
    fluff up with a fork.

I use it with veges or in a salad.

good luck
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ty for such a comprehensive answer, it has been a mystery to me as well, how to use it! i feel quite confident after reading this, thanks Pat
  • TaishaMcGee
    Options
    You can also cook quinoa in a rice cooker just like you would regular rice. I use broth instead of water and it's good to go. I eat it plain and hot, or if you refrigerate it, you can put it in pretty much anything...tacos, salads, stir-fry, veggies. It definitely has a unique taste, so give it a fair shot and don't expect it to taste familiar.

It took me a couple tries to figure quinoa out, as you generally have to rinse the crap out of it, but it's worth the effort.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've never made it before... what sorts of things do you like to eat it with? & how long does it usually take?

Do you have a rice steamer?

2 cups water, 1 cup washed quinoa with a little powdered stock - yum, 14 mins on a 1000 watts microwave I use it in sauces, as a rice sustitute