Nervous about food.

Options
2»

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back, not them all. If I could sit on my butt all day and eat 1,200 calories rather than exercising and still only eat 1,200 I know I wouldn't work as hard, I'd also be exhausted.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging.

Just keep reading.

There are many ways to go about things here on MFP, you'll establish your own routine.

On weekdays, I plan and log ahead, at least thru breakfast, lunch and after-lunch snacks. It keeps me on the straight and narrow. Weekends are harder, but I've been known to throw in a walking video or run the house from end-to-end to get my numbers on the good side!

Send a friend request if you'd like.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared of food. You need it to live just be aware of what you up in your mouth. I know how growing up on hambgurger helper and frozen foods are. It,took me a while to understand the balance between carbs,protein,fat balance. The list that mfp has saying in,RED you are over on protein and sugar was redicuolous. I look at the pie chart and try to make a peace sign. Its simple and funny but,works for me. P.s. If you are working out protein and water are your friends. Relax and enjoy the foods you love(in moteration)

Love this. I also attempt to make a peace sign every day.
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself too much too quickly- you want long-term results and it takes a while to get them. It took me a LONG time and a lot of failed fad diets to get that through my thick skull.

Make healthier choices: whole grains, lean proteins, fresh fruits and veggies. Your caloric goal should reflect what you are trying to lose (how much)... calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). You can find some websites to help you (just google it) and then make sure you are consuming at LEAST that number of calories each day. I set my MFP to moderately active (3-5 workouts per week) so I only eat back calories if I do a LOT of cardio (excess of 500 calories).

You can do this chica!!

highly agree. Very well said.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Dont eat exercise calories back and jack up the protein as much as possible. Thay zaps my appetite!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Don't be nervous about food, you're at the start of your MFP journey and coming from an MFP veteran it is one that will teach you so much and will be so worthwhile.

It will teach you about food, about the calorific values of different foods - teach you what's probably best to avoid or eat in moderation and what you can have an abundance of. It will teach you about basic food portions for things, I especially found this useful for carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread etc and can now even eyeball suitable portions when eating out in restaurants.

It shows you the value of exercise. Not necessarily to burn calories to, yes, eat back, but because not having exercise as part of your routine may not feel normal any longer. This is coming from someone that two years ago could barely be faffed to walk 10 minutes down the road to get a loaf of bread let alone run up to 30 miles a week.

Get good MFP friends that have a similar attitude and/or lifestyle to yours. Don't be afraid to delete ones that no longer suit or inspire you on this journey. I have been ruthless with this and have a wonderful bunch of MFP friends who are constantly learning, not always angelic, but always motivated and always make me smile. After a year of maintenance I no longer log food and exercise on here as I know how to maintain without recording it, but I often check in because I genuinely care about my MFP friends and want to see them reach their goals.

It wont always be easy. Some weeks you wont lose weight, sometimes you'll overeat, sometimes you'll rather eat glass than go out and do exercise but it's all about finding that balance and so long as the bad is only occasional it normally wont make any difference in the long run. This is about finding a lifestyle to stay thin and healthy not a crash diet.

Anyway - there's a bit of blurb from someone that's reached their goals and overall I can't emphasise enough that ,even though it wont always be great, the rewards are amazing and stick with it. This is the only 'diet' that has worked for me.

Best of luck! And have a blast! :flowerforyou:
  • ronkelley2
    ronkelley2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i did learn on this one....thanks to everyone for the knowledge....
  • ronkelley2
    ronkelley2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i did learn on this one....thanks to everyone for the knowledge....