What's your preferred eating frequency?

Options
I know its common around most weight loss practices to do the typical 3 meal, 3 snack thing (probably due to the highly perpetuated "eating more often speeds up your metabolism" myth), but I personally can't do it. I feel like all the times I've tried that, it's kept constantly thinking about food all day long, and never feeling truly satisfied or full after eating cos my meals had to be so darn tiny!

Lately I've kept it at three solid meals a day, sometimes two, breakfast being a small & simple serving of oatmeal with soymilk, walnut pieces & a banana. I prefer waiting until I'm actually a bit hungry, and then eating to my fill and not having to eat until several hours later. I enjoy my meals better that way as well, and I'd much rather save my calories to have a bigger serving of a hot dinner or lunch, than use them towards snacking on fiber bars or peanuts during the day (which usually don't do much for my hunger). But thats just me.

Anyone else have eating patterns that differ from the "norm" or are we all doing the snacky, frequent small meal sort of thing?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When in a calorie deficit, I eat my first meal post-workout (usually quite a bit of protein) around noonish, then a huge dinner around 5-7pm, then the rest of my calories (typically another 500-1000) right before bed.

When in a calorie surplus, I usually eat breakfast in addition to the above.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I usually have 3 meals and a protein shake post workout. I like a big dinner too, or else I snack or (worse) binge late night.
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    How you get your calories, whether by 'grazing' all day or eating a few large meals, doesn't matter. Just don't eat more than you need (or less if you want to lose) and all is well.

I find I do best with a hearty breakfast, good lunch, afternoon snack & satisfying dinner.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Three meals a day, with a mid-morning snack, and a snack in the late afternoon. On the weekends, I might skip the mid-morning snack because I eat breakfast a little later. Morning snack is about 100 calories, late afternoon snack is typically 150 calories. Pre-MFP, I nibbled all day long--so eating at these set times has worked for me.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    6am breakfast
    8am coffee
    11am apple
    2pm lunch
    5pm dinner

I love days like this!
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Meal frequency is irrelevant. As long as you hit your macros for the day and maintain a steady feeding window.

I like to eat 2 meals: one before (30% of daily intake) and after workout (70% of daily intake). Fast 20 hours/day, eat within 4 hours.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like my three meals (breakfast usually small as well: yogurt, fruit, or oatmeal). I tried the 6 meals and i didn't feel good at all. I felt exactly how you described.
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I like to eat 3 meals a day. I usually go about 16 hours between my last meal of the day until breakfast the next day, so 3 meals in 8 hrs is good & I have a bit of snacks.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Though some say this is bad, I enjoy late night snacking. What works for me is to have a moderate breakfast to get me through the morning, usually a light snack in the early afternoon, and then I graze all evening :)
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Constantly.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    All day, seriously. 6AM or midnight. I eat frequently. I've never been overweight though, no medical issues at all, I just eat often. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like big meals, so however sumo wrestlers eat, that would be my preference. with less calories
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat when I feel hungry, and stop when I start feeling satisfied. However, I do try to eat smaller amounts, and have a snack mid-morning or afternoon, and then at bedtime.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I eat every two hours, so I have to be careful keeping calories.
    At times I have to force myself to only eat three times a day.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I try to do three solid meals with a few snacks just to keep me from getting hungry.

Whatever works for you is what you should do.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    2am: pre-workout snack
    6/7am: coffee
    9/10am: breakfast
    12/1pm: lunch
    2/4: lunch 2
    5:30/6:30: dinner
    7/8: snack
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    All day, seriously. 6AM or midnight. I eat frequently. I've never been overweight though, no medical issues at all, I just eat often. :)

same here.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I eat every day.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I eat all day, grazing