I dont understand MFP goals

Options
So I wanted to change my goal, I made a plan of 30min of exercise 6 days a week. I selected sedentary because I sit at a desk 8hr/day but I do spend almost all of the evening on my feet.
it said .7lbs a week for projected weight loss. I decided I wanted to see how it changed if I upped exercise to 60 min a day 6 days a week, no change at all. why is this? shouldnt it be at least a little bit higher w/ double the exercise?
thanks for any help!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think you'd have to change the amount of calories you;d want to burn in that hour for it to make a difference.

after all, 60 minutes of exercise doesnt really mean anything by itself since all exercise doesnt burn the same amount of calories. for instance 60 minutes of kickboxing is much different than 60 minutes of walking at a 2 mph pace
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    MFP does not include your intended exercise into the calorie calculation for your "base" calorie target. You get credit for these when you actually do them and log them. MFP then adds the calories you burn to your quota for the day and you get them after you have earned them.
  • rmcannell
    rmcannell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can change the amount of weight you want to lose each week (1 lb for instance), and the amount you plan to exercise, and it will suggest a level of calories burned for that amount of time. Probably a better way to approach it if you have a specific amount you are aiming to lose each week.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would change your activty to slighty Active and see what happens, I say this because you are on your feet in the evening.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The exercise goals are just how many hours you want to workout per week. You will show different weight loss if you change your sedentrary to moderately active or active. You can also change how much weight you want to lose per week - for example 2 pounds will give you much fewer calories per day than .7#s. Then some people (using the sedentary setting) count all of their exercise calories for their daily calorie goal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's why it's important to "eat your exercise calories." They amount of exercise you SAY you'll do doesn't affect your daily calorie goal. It only counts when you do it .

You could SAY you'll burn 10000 calories a day, but you'll still get the same calorie goal unless and until you log it.