Too much sugar in my green smoothies. :(

Options
2»

Replies

• kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question because there are a lot of great suggestions here.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am only 2 weeks into the green smoothie making and so i try and keep them as simple as possible for the time being. This past weekend i used both kale and romaine lettuce in the same smoothie but previously i was only using kale, fruits (abt 2 - 3 fruits at a time) and water. So far none of the ones i have made needed any form of sweetener. Of course some are sweeter than some depending which fruits are used.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am going to second Ackeebee and the use of romaine lettuce. I am also going to second IntenseRSX04 with the baby spinach. Kale can be rough. So can dandelions. I would suggest starting out with greens that are less bitter and then adding things as you get more used to it. This morning I had baby spinach, a banana, and a kiwi. It was tasty and really easy to drink. You can add all of the other things that people are suggesting. I just find that the easier it is to make it, the less prep and ingredients it needs, the more likely I am to continue making it until it becomes a sold habit.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I drink straight up green juice --- nothing but vegetables. Got used to the taste, and it makes me feel like Wonder Woman!
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I just find that the easier it is to make it, the less prep and ingredients it needs, the more likely I am to continue making it until it becomes a sold habit.

i totally agree with this point. i see alot of recipes that in my opinion they seem to have too many ingredients and that turn me off.

i actually am not a fan of kale steamed but i must admit that i find it ok in my smoothies. i dont use more than one cup at a time.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've found that using dark berries really help mask the flavor of the greens. I use frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. And banana does add a lot of sweetness. But, I have a super sweet tooth, so I usually add Truvia or Stevia too.
  • gdnt
    gdnt Posts: 6
    Options
    I've found that adding some soft tofu to my green smoothies really mellows them out. 0 grams of sugar per serving.
  • SilverAway
    SilverAway Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did. lol, take some and drank it..lol, man LMAO, did I lol, make myself feel lol like my lol weight was really a comin LMAO off and I felt kind of funny LMAO
  • SilverAway
    SilverAway Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Get over the LOL thing, nothing you said was funny plus the lol thing is getting real old
  • OneGoodBean
    OneGoodBean Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use spinach, almond milk (unsweetened), strawberries (frozen), peaches (frozen), mangos (frozen) and add chia seeds. I just bough flax seed (haven't used it in years!) and plan to use that as well. Sometimes I'll put in a banana instead of say the mango or I'll only do two fruits. But I don't ever have to add honey or some other sweetener. I think it tastes great.