Tips for running 8+ miles

Hey!
So I am training for a half marathon. I have never run more than 7 and tomorrow my long run is gonna be 8! Idk why, but it just seems really far to me. :p Next week is 10 miles!!
Any tips for newbies? thanks!! :)

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Well if you can do 7, you'll be fine to do 8.
    How did your seven-miler go? If it went awesome, just repeat whatever you did that time.
    If it was a struggle, start out a little slower and/or take more frequent walk breaks than you did that time.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    You'll do great! Nothing is more exciting than running further (farther?) than you ever have each and every week.

Give it a few weeks and you'll be saying things like "I'm only running 8 miles tomorrow."
  • qhorn1
    qhorn1 Posts: 4 Member
    This is patient of ours:
    He writes for a running club. And he has recently run a 100K. I am sure you can click on anyone of his blog posts and write at the bottom.

http://www.trailrunningclub.com/blog/author/rovert_d/
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Well I'm sure you know to do one long run a week. Make sure your long runs are at a slower pace than your regular runs. If you've run seven recently you'll do fine with 8! Good luck :)
  • You will own it!
  • rmcannell
    rmcannell Posts: 23 Member
    You'll do great! Pay attention to your body. When I do 8 + miles I usually take some food with me - something that agrees with my stomach. By 10 or 11 I also have a small fuel bottle of Gatorade in addition to my water. These are things I've found I need, and many folks run longer distances without food or electrolytes, but my body reacts quite severely if I don't have them, and I'd rather be able to keep running!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Just watch your pace and you should do just fine. Next week may be a little tougher hitting 10 miles but it's the same advice, keep your pace easy, relax and enjoy the run. There are milestones in your running career.......your first race, the first time you hit 5 miles and the first time you do 10; I still remember it feeling a little unreal that I ran 10 miles without stopping and feeling great!

Have fun!