Annoyingly unbalanced

Options
Hey guys and gals,

This is quite stupid actually, because there are millions of other posts like these, but here I go:

I can't find a right balance between the amount of calories I have to eat. MFP suggested to eat about 1580 calories a day. I did that for a while, but found myself losing weight too damn fast. I almost lost 3 kgs in 3 days back then, and gained them all back in a week.

After that, I decided to check out a different daily calorie counter, having me eat 1800 calories or so. Now I find it difficuilt to fill my day with 1800 calories, moreso because I exercise everyday a little bit. Because of the fact that I have to eat my calories back after exercising, going for a run has become even less attractive to me(I do enjoy the running though).

What I'm asking is this: if I were to put down my info( 80.4 kg, 175 cm), could someone give me a number, for my calorie intake, to lose about 1 kg a week(I don't exercise often for a living or anything, except as an activity). I just don't want to keep worrying about the right amount of calorie intake, but rather, about what I should eat.

Thank you very much!

Replies

• jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    Options
    Find out your TDEE and eat at -15% or -20%. There's a free app called fitness nut that will do it for you and tell you your macros. Most people lose quite a bit of water weight at first and sometimes 'gain' it back if they decrease water intake it eat more salt. Also, the more you have to lose the quicker it is at first (generally) but it will slow down. Some people eat back their exercise calories and some don't. It's just what works for you. After you find out your TDEE try eating at -15% for a month or so and see how it goes and you can adjust from there.

Edited for typos
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So apparently, my TDEE is 2304(could this be right?)
    Then -15%, and I get about 1958 calories a day(much more than any of my recommended calorie intakes).

So does this sound like an idea: my MFP recommended calories is 1770, and my Cut Value is 1958. Should I aim to daily get my calories in between these two numbers?
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Aiming for about 1800-1900 calories sounds like a good idea seeing as 1580 was too little. Bumping your calories by 200-300 calories either way when your current intake isn't working is recommended so you can see for 1 or 2 weeks if it is bringing about results without risking ruining your progress too greatly :)

However, if I may add, don't be frustrated too soon by how tricky it is to find the right balance to lose weight at a steady pace. It will take some experimenting and tweaking as calculators give ESTIMATES. None of them can give you a set in stone definite answer, not to mention as your weight decreases your BMR and the amount of calories burned during exercise will decrease (very little at a time but after 5-10 kg it adds up eh) too.

If you find it hard to fit in 1800 calories on low calorie foods, I would suggest looking into calorie dense foods like nuts (An ounce of most nuts are anywhere between 150-200 calories) or fruits. I don't know what foods you enjoy or what diet you are following but 1800 calories is not imposible to consume through the day.

As for what to eat: Eat clean. Eating clean will improve your health, your appreciation for food and the quality of your weight loss. Avoid processed foods as much as possible (but don't feel guilty if there are some snacks you enjoy every few days~ It takes time to adjust and in the long run it can keep you sane. It took me years to kick my need for chocolate all the time) and try to eat foods you prepare yourself so you really know what you are putting in your body.