Skipping weeks on Couch-to-5K?

Options
I want to start Couch-to-5K, but looking at the plan I think the first two weeks / phases would be too easy for me. I've literally only just started running anyways but I do more than that in my work outs so I feel like I'd be wasting time doing easy work when I could start where my current fitness level is at?

Anyways, I want to start on week 3.

Is that allowed / okay or should I do the other two just for the sake of it?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Start where your current fitness level permits but listen to your body as you progress.

With running there are a lot more adaptations going on than just aerobic fitness (bone density, increased blood flow to muscles, increased mitochondrial density etc) which take time. Remember, most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast.

I don't know if the C25K programs get into cross training and/or strength training but have a look at some of these ideas at runnersowrld.com:

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-263-266-0,00.html

strength and cross training can help with muscular imbalances (hips, glutes, core) and vastly improve injury resistance; and don't forget your rest days.......
  • ulove613
    ulove613 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program a couple weeks ago (using running mate media's free podcasts). I started off on week 3 because I wasn't challenged or even sore after trying a day of both weeks 1 and 2. I think that skipping at the front end of the program is acceptable, but later on you'll want the extra time/training to acclimate your body to the longer runs. Good luck!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I never used C25K to start running. I just went out, found out how far I *could* run and then worked to improve on that distance/time. Probably not the best way, but it worked for me.

HOWEVER, when I decided to train for a half, I decided to use a training guide and it was totally beneficial!!! However, my fitness level let me start a few weeks in to the program because I was already doing more than the early weeks called for.

Just listen to your body and back off or repeat a week as necessary!!! Good luck! (Be forewarned. . .running is addicting!!)
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Yes, depends totally on your current fitness levels...If you feel you can do...Just go ahead.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I felt like that at the start of C25K but I did the program as prescribed - I'm glad I did because I learned better techique by taking it slow and *so far* I've avoided any injury and soreness after my runs. I'm on week 6 now and have my first 5k at the end of the month. xx
  • edenburnin
    edenburnin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Think of it as warming up before you do your main workout. Even though the first two weeks were easy for me it gets you used to the program. Try it for one week and instead of jogging pick up the pace. This is my 3rd time doing c25k. Each time I do it I have gotten better at it and push myself hard, go faster and further than I did before.
    Whatever you choose, enjoy it. I am sure you'll be fine.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Anyone looking to speed up their times doing the 5-10k...Have a look at

http://www.motiontraxx.com

you`ll have to register but there are a load of free mp3 downloads ranging from 150 bpm to 185 bpm and all around 60 mins long. Have fun..