Wanted to get some opinions on microwave usage

Options
2»

Replies

• GhotiandTchoghs
    Options
    I am just going to explain how they work and the differences between the types of radiation very broadly.

Radiation can be classified into two groups. Ionizing and non-ionizing.

Ionizing radiation has enough energy to free an electron from what it hits without raising it's temperature to ionizing temperatures.

Non-Ionizing radiation does not have enough energy to free an electron but it can still heat things up.

Ionizing radiation is what causes the cancer-risk, radiation sickness and is what is used for cancer treatment (though in very controlled, generally safe ways).

Non-ionizing radiation's greatest threat is that it causes burns. Sunburns and tanning are a result of non-ionizing radiation. And yes, more sunburns leads to a higher chance of getting cancer but this is because the skin is forced to multiply more in order to replace the damaged skin cells. The more times it has to multiply, the greater change there will be a mistake made in the process and that causes cancer. Try writing the same word over and over again, slowly, and then rapidly. Eventually you will spell the word wrong or form a letter a bit wonky. (Get Cancer, in this parallel).

This might be where your friend got confused because Microwaves are also non-ionizing. They don't cause electrons to go bouncing away, but they do cause things to get hot. That's all they do though. Microwave machines are made for safety. You would know if you were getting hit with microwaves because the water in your body would get very hot. You'd be moving away before damage was done. They also don't make things radioactive because all the electrons stay in their atoms.

In the end the debate is "Does heating food, cause all those things to happen that your friend said?" because if so, that might be the case with all types of heating and not just microwaves.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You would know if you were getting hit with microwaves because the water in your body would get very hot.

I would also add to the above by saying that you would know if you're getting hit by microwaves if you were sitting on a gigantic rotating disc next to a life-size hot dog.
  • kgaskins
    Options
    Because of my job I try to take my lunch with me I use things like Green Giant steamers and I do Lean Cuisine steamers in the microwaves b.c sometimes I dont have time to cook. I personally don't see an issue with it.
  • GhotiandTchoghs
    Options
    You would know if you were getting hit with microwaves because the water in your body would get very hot.

I would also add to the above by saying that you would know if you're getting hit by microwaves if you were sitting on a gigantic rotating disc next to a life-size hot dog.

Very good point. Reminds me of a Terry Pratchett book quote:

"... I'm your worst nightmare!" said Teatime cheerfully.

The man shuddered. "You mean...the one with the giant cabbage and the sort of whirring knife thing?"

Book - The HogFather
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that microwaves kill nutrients and bacteria more efficiently than stovetop cooking.

Apropos of nothing, I remember a high school "convocation" in the early '60s where a microwave oven was demonstrated by cooking peas. (I now wonder who or what agency sponsored this educational presentation back then.) They told us that microwaves were still bouncing around inside the food after taking it out of the oven and if we ate it right away then we'd have microwaves cooking us from inside. Made an impression. It was almost 20 years later before I owned one. Right after I traded in the horse for the Model T. :tongue:
  • GhotiandTchoghs
    Options
    My guess would be that microwaves kill nutrients and bacteria more efficiently than stovetop cooking.

Apropos of nothing, I remember a high school "convocation" in the early '60s where a microwave oven was demonstrated by cooking peas. (I now wonder who or what agency sponsored this educational presentation back then.) They told us that microwaves were still bouncing around inside the food after taking it out of the oven and if we ate it right away then we'd have microwaves cooking us from inside. Made an impression. It was almost 20 years later before I owned one. Right after I traded in the horse for the Model T. :tongue:

Wow, they really told you that? I was not around then but that is bonkers.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I cook most things in the oven (usually toaster oven since it heats up faster!!) and just reheat them in the microwave. If people are at least 50 and been using their microwave since birth I think I'll be okay. Seriously.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd be lost without mine! At home I use it most breakfast times, either for scrambled egg, or porridge, or a "muffin in a minute" type effort.

I take my own lunches to work - soups and stews that I've made at the weekend and frozen in single portions. I reheat these in the micro at work.

Evening meals, I'll often steam the veg in a the micro - asparagus, peas, baked beans. I have a special microwave pan for heating soups and beans. And fish fillets wrapped in a parcel with a slice of lemon or a splash of wine, mmmmmm

I think they've been around long enough now that if they WERE dangerous we would know abotu it.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow, they really told you that? I was not around then but that is bonkers.
    Yeah, they said it wasn't really an issue though because we don't eat piping hot things that are right out of a conventional oven either. I was just happy to be getting out of a history class.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My friend heated water in a microwave and then poured it out on her grass (experiment) and the grass died in that spot. lol. Yuck.
    Probably because she poured boiling water on it.

Exactly.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Although I will say, don't microwave water for your coffee or tea. Apparently (though rare) it can create more surface tension on the water, and when you put your spoon in it to stir it the water can come out and burn you. Same with baby food. My friend just burned her face with baby food last week, because when she put the spoon into the jar the food exploded out onto her face. So the moral of the story is, be careful with liquidy things and purees.
    It is rare, but not impossible, so yes you should be cautious. Although I'm wondering why she heated baby food to the point that it would burn skin.

She heated it for 30 seconds, like she has for years. It was just a freak thing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't have one at home, because it went out and we found we could live without it. I use one at work to heat food up a few times a week. I have to say that I don't miss it at home and our food tastes better cooked in the oven or stovetop - but I don't have any ethical reasons for not having one. I have to say that it keeps me from using more "convience food" at home - no heat & eat dinners or stuff like that. Which is better for me because it means I can control my calories and sodium better.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine a few months ago, don't like the idea of my food being "nuked"
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I'm old enough to remember when they first came out lol!
    I did not like them even then, and certainly hated what they did to the texture of food.
    Frankly, I don't like them. What else can I say? I could go on and on about how they make me wrinkle up my nose, like an ashtray would...
    Never have owned one.
    I can out-reheat any microwave owner! I'm up for the challenge lol!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    . Also be careful of what you cook your food in. Many plastics, especially older ones, have chemicals that can leach into your food when in the microwave. Your best bet is to use glass, or something new and made especially for the microwave.
    [/quote]

This.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I use a microwave almost exclusively for all my cooking/heating needs at home. I rarley turn on the stove/oven. I prepare/cook food using the microwave as well as reheat on the occasion I have extra. Its not hard to prepare most food using the microwave. You just need to start with experimentation to get the intensity and times down for the microwave but much of the preparation is identical to using a convential stove/oven. I typically only prepare the amount I eat at one meal so there are no leftovers. It takes less time, less
    energy, and clean up is easier than with a convential stove. I have had no heatlth related issues due to this practice.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    We're all going to die, anyway.

You're welcome. I enjoy cheering people up.

You are an angel, I have a much greater lightness to my step, post your cheering words. :happy:
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I Microwave everything...Never had any problems.
    Microwaves are prolly cheaper than mcdonalds and KFC. :p
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I wanted to thank everyone for their opinions on this. I'm going to continue using my microwave, but try to use it a little less when there are other cooking methods available.