Joining the gym.. how can I overcome my embarrassment??

Options
124»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you're 140lbs, unless you are 2ft tall you DO NOT look 8 months pregnant!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    First off, there will be others there just starting like you and there will be others as heavy and heaveir than you. Secondly, it does not matter what unknown strangers think about you. You must do it for you and your health, no one else. I too go to the gym by myself. After you go for awhile you won't think twice about it. MAKE yourself go and after awhile you will miss it if you don't go. Only you can do this for you so just do it. Do not let anyone elses opinions or what you imagine they are thinking keep you from health.
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I completely understand.. As a guy who has always had skinny arms, I felt intimidated going into a weight room with the muscle bound people. As an overweight man, I was intimidated about my gut, and I wondered what people would think if I went to a class that was filled with mostly women. Then I realized that everyone is there to be stronger and healthier, and people are actually friendly and helpful. BUT, THE TOUGHEST MACHINE AT THE GYM IS THE FRONT DOOR! So, here is how I feel is best to overcome that:
    1) Find the right gym. Look around. Most are great, but you aren't going to want to join something that only has weights, and is full of professional body builders, for example. It also looks like odd hours are an issue for you. I belong to a 24 hour gym. I actually love going late bacause sometimes I am the only one there, and I am able to try out some of those machines that I am not too sure of yet.

2) Most gyms will offer a free appointment with a fitness trainer when you join. USE THEM! They might look like the perfect shape and you will think they couldn't possibly understand or want to spend their time with you. That is so far from the truth. Those people are awesome, and they love seeing people improve. Think of it this way. How much fun is it to see the results of a freshly mowed lawn if it didn't need to be mowed in the first place. On the other hand, you take an overgrown lot, mow, trim, weed, and get rid of all the unhealthy stuff and then sit back and look at your accomplishment. Feels pretty good huh? A trainer will TEACH you how to use all those machines, weights, etc, give you exercises for YOU, and make you feel more comfortable coming in each day. They want to see you get healthy.

3) Take advantage of classes that are offered. If you are still self concious, stand at the back. Eventually you will feel more comfortable, and when you are in a class you don't feel so alone. Sometimes working out alone is great, but sometimes I feel like I need to be around other people with the same goal.

4) Don't worry about what people think. This is the hardest, I know, but you are in this for YOU. It is time to be selfish. Just think, many of the people at the gym have overcome weight issues too. You are just seeing the "after" picture.

I know this is a long post, but I really hope it helps and empathize with your concerns. Good luck and I hope to see your progress as you go on this journey!